Unable to access jails via hostnames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic Monk

Cadet
Hi,

I've setup my FreeNAS box with some plugins and it's all working fairly well, except I can only access the WebUIs of my jailed plugins directly through their IPs and not via their hostnames. My router sees their hostnames (plexmediaserver_1 etc) and an 'nslookup plexmediaserver_1' from a windows machine on the same network resolves the correct IP address, however trying to ping the hostname or otherwise connect to it returns 'could not find host'.

I'm getting around this by setting up a DDNS service and forwarding the WebUI ports to the respective IPs in my router settings to avoid having to type in strings of numbers/give me some remote access but this feels insecure (for obvious reasons) and hacky (since the jail mac address changes every time the server reboots I can't have total peace of mind when reserving an IP to be forwarded to.) I'd much rather use a VPN and hostnames to accomplish the same task, but can't. Is there something I'm missing?

Generic Monk

Cadet
OK, found that my router wasn't set as the DNS server in the FreeNAS settings; after changing it I can now connect to the jails via hostnames on my iphone and ipad. Windows still can't contact them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.