Jail hostnames aren't visible on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a jail I can ping other machines by their hostname, but the reverse. Nothing on the network is able to resolve the jail hostnames to an IP address. All of the jails are reachable by IP, though.

This is a simple home network with an Asus RT-N66U router at it's core. I have tried nslookup and pings from Windows and Linux machines with no success. The router is also able to resolve the name of everything else on the network, but not the jails.

Other than adding the jails to all of the other machines' host files, how do I make their names resolve?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Same way you made all the other hosts on the network resolve. If all the hosts are windows hosts you might not of done anything to get it to work since windows does its own discovery and doesn't use dns to do that. If you want your jails to be resolvable you need to configure a DNS server someplace, most routers will do this for you.

Same way you made all the other hosts on the network resolve. If all the hosts are windows hosts you might not of done anything to get it to work since windows does its own discovery and doesn't use dns to do that. If you want your jails to be resolvable you need to configure a DNS server someplace, most routers will do this for you.

Bummer; I was hoping it was just something I configured wrong in the jail. I figured that FreeNAS is able to identify itself, so the jails must be able to as well. In retrospect, that's probably a feature of the CIFS service.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You sir are correct it is a feature of CIFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.