umount: fstab reading failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger Wilco

Explorer
During shutdown/reboot process of the FreeNAS system the the following appears on the console:
Code:
Stopping sshd.                                                                  
Waiting for PIDS: 5654.                                                         
Stoppingthejail....Unmounting user-supplied file-systems                        
Stopping jail with: /etc/rc.shutdown                                            
.Jul 27 23:16:31 dnsmasq syslogd: exiting on signal 15                          
..DoneStoppingthejail....Unmounting user-supplied file-systems                  
.Jul 27 23:16:35 lms syslogd: exiting on signal 15                              
.Jul 27 23:16:38 nostorage syslogd: exiting on signal 15                        
.Jul 27 23:16:42 plex syslogd: exiting on signal 15                             
..DoneStopping mdnsd.                                                           
Waiting for PIDS: 3005.                                                         
Stopping nginx.                                                                 
Waiting for PIDS: 2998.                                                         

Environment:
  • FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39)
  • 4 Jails, all set up as:
    • Type: Standard
    • Autostart: checked
    • VIMAGE: not checked
    • NAT: not checked
    • Vanilla: checked
  • Two Jails have a storage configured:
    • lms
    • plex
  • Two Jails do NOT have a storage configured:
    • dnsmasq
    • nostorage

The two jails without storage (dnsmasq, nostorage) report a failure during shutdown:
Code:

It seems as if every jail without a storage reports this problem. First I had only the jail "dnsmasq" which wrote the message, and after I've added the jail "nostorage" for testing, both jails complained.

The message can be tracked down to the umount sources (umount.c) caused by the return value NULL from the function getfsent().

getfsent() returns NULL when there is a problem with reading an entry from fstab.

That's where my FreeNAS knowledge ends - I don't know how FreeNAS handles unmounting of filesystems of a jail during shutdown, but I remember a bug report which handled the case of unmounting the storage filesystem before shutting down the processes (was a database which got it's tablespace torn away, before it has been properly shut down). This got fixed, but it might be a starting point - trying to unmount something while having an empty fstab might cause the function getfsent() to return NULL, I guess...

And, in the line
Code:

seems to be a newline character missing between ("..Done" and "Stopping"), doesn't it?

Roger Wilco

Explorer
Created ticket #5697

Status
Not open for further replies.