UFS error getting space available / replace ufs disk / UFS import error / copying UFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruipaz

Cadet
Hello all,
this is my first post on this forum, but i've been here searching for more then a month trying to solve my problem, but didn't find any solution.
I must say i'm really new on Freenas but i have some unix bases , and i found tweaking or configuring this system dificult.

Like the title says this has to do with UFS importing.
I installed freenas 8.3 without problems, create mount points, share, etc. all running fine until one of my disk fails.

I decided to replace it and then the problems starting.
I try upgrade, re-install, etc. but i wasn't able to mount the new disk, i always get the error: "Error getting space available" or "The selected disks were not verified for this import rules" when i use the web GUI.

The disks are full with data that i can't loose, and i can't wipe them.
I try with a blank disk using the import (wiping the disk) and didn't work also, always getting the sames messages.

My problem is: how to take the data out from the others disks ?
Didn't find any solution here, so i starting building "my solution"

After 2/3 weeks i manage to take out the data.

I take out all the disks, and leave just one with freenas installed, reset it to defaults and deleted all CIFS; VOLUMES; DISK; etc that was showing in web GUI.

I get a HD formated in NTFS (windows 7 - 64bit) to receive the data i need.

I get 2 USB-to-IDE to be able to connect the disks with the data on a USB port.
I then connect by USB the destination disk (blank) and the source disk (with the data)

Then i follow
- http://forums.freenas.org/faq.php?faq=general_freenas
- How do I manually mount UFS/ZFS/NTFS/FAT/Ext2 filesystems from the command line?
- UFS - for source disks
- FAT/FAT32 - for destination disk

after they both are available on /mnt/ufs and /mnt/fat i simply copy from source to destination.

cp -r /mnt/ufs/* /mnt/fat

now i have all my data back on a NTFS disk that i will put on a PC with windows xp

I'll NEVER will use Freenas again ... sorry but that just my opinion, i don't want to take the risk to loose my precious data (old fotos, movies, etc)
never the less i post how i solve "my problem" because i saw that there are a lot of people with same problem, and some don't even get 1 answer.
Hope this will help someone, thanks to all , good luck and goodbye :)

ps-sorry for the long post.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm thinking your mistake was trying to use the auto-import with UFS. The auto-import feature is for zfs only.

But take care. I'm glad you at least got your data back.

Status
Not open for further replies.