Ubuntu Jail - RDP GUI Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimer

Dabbler
Hi,

I've created a jail using the Ubuntu 13.04 template. The jail is running and if I access the jail via the shell and execute a 'dir' command, it returns the following:

# dir
bin home lost+found plymouth.core selinux usr
boot initrd.img media proc srv var
dev initrd.img.old mnt root sys vmlinuz
etc lib opt sbin tmp vmlinuz.old
#

When I try to open an RDP session to the jail IP address, the connection doesn't establish. Is the jail running a full version of Ubuntu? Is it possible to access the GUI via RDP?

Ideally, I'd like to run transmission and CyberGhost VPN within Ubuntu, within FreeNAS. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Rob

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I've created a jail using the Ubuntu 13.04 template. The jail is running and if I access the jail via the shell and execute a 'dir' command, it returns the following:

# dir
bin home lost+found plymouth.core selinux usr
boot initrd.img media proc srv var
dev initrd.img.old mnt root sys vmlinuz
etc lib opt sbin tmp vmlinuz.old
#

When I try to open an RDP session to the jail IP address, the connection doesn't establish. Is the jail running a full version of Ubuntu? Is it possible to access the GUI via RDP?

Ideally, I'd like to run transmission and CyberGhost VPN within Ubuntu, within FreeNAS. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Rob
If you need to use Ubuntu, then I think what you probably want is to create a virtualbox jail and install Ubuntu in a VM.

grimer

Dabbler
I think Ubuntu is 'installed'. It downloaded a large file from the internet and the folder structure seems to be consistent with Ubuntu?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think Ubuntu is 'installed'. It downloaded a large file from the internet and the folder structure seems to be consistent with Ubuntu?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/discussion-linux-jails-do-you-use-them.22449/

Linux jails don't work very well and will be removed from FreeNAS in the future. The fact of the matter is that once you start trying to use a linux jail for something you quickly realize they don't work as expected. That being said, you can always install transmission and a VPN client to a standard jail.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
anodos is correct for several reasons. Notable linux jails are removed from FreeNAS 9.3. But also getting WebGUI support through a linux jail requires you to setup a dummy video card to act as a surface for the WebGUI to run.

Big picture, look at the virtualbox jail. ;)

grimer

Dabbler
OK thanks for your help/advice. I have a subscription to CyberGhost VPN. Are you aware of any step by step guides for configuring a transmission jail with a VPN?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Status
Not open for further replies.