Ubuntu Desktop VM with GPU Passthrough - no display output after boot

Dr.Pepper42

Cadet
Hi,

Im trying to set up an Ubuntu Desktop VM with a dedicated nvidia GPU in my SCALE system.

GPU is isolated and attached to the VM during config, "Ensure Display Device" box unchecked.

When starting the VM the connected Monitor (via Displayport) shows the Ubuntu boot screen (Select / Install Ubuntu, etc.)
however after confirming this option the signal is interrupted (black screen) and does not come back to continue the rest of the installation.

When I set up the VM via VNC the connected Monitor will only output the Ubuntu boot screen and wont proceed to the log in screen.
What am I missing ?

rustigsmed

Dabbler
Hi - assuming truenas has another gpu to use while the nvidia card is being passed thru (and it is correctly selected). I would try and install first without GPU passthru settings and the edit settings once installed (potentially try GPU passthru and ensure display before going full passthru). Also in Ubuntu check the display options I had two monitors showing and had to make some changes there if necessary. Hope that gives some option to try. I use a dummy HDMI plug (and a higher quality dp - hdmi adapter first to enable up to 4k120) for my 3090 pass thru into a win10 VM.

Cheers

probain

Patron
I'm getting simliar results on my end too. But with a AMD rx6400 instead.
I've tried legacy bios, uefi. And the installation hangs during similar places. In GUI, usually around timezone choice.
When trying to do a install with safe graphics, it too hangs at the second or third dot

However. My results are regardless of the GPU being attached to the VM or not.

Last edited:

probain

Patron
I'm getting simliar results on my end too. But with a AMD rx6400 instead.
I've tried legacy bios, uefi. And the installation hangs during similar places. In GUI, usually around timezone choice.
When trying to do a install with safe graphics, it too hangs at the second or third dot
Trying a Debian install instead. And it works way better... So I'm guessing that there is something in the Ubuntu Desktop-installer that doesn't work well with running under Scale

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper42

Cadet
Trying a Debian install instead. And it works way better... So I'm guessing that there is something in the Ubuntu Desktop-installer that doesn't work well with running under Scale
Thanks for your update I will try debian instead