SOLVED Two NICS mothercard. one for internal and one for outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

lixenstrand

Cadet
Hey,

so i've tried to figure this out and tried to search for it. But here is what i would like to do.

One nic will be open to the outside world, connected to router, p2p and my folks need to get to my plex outside of my network.
The other nic should connect to my two or three kodi setups that should be able to reach the server, but also the internet to be able to watch trailers and download pictures etc.

so is it possible to keep the local network away from the other nic, so i don't have any problems to watch movies, even if the nas is downloading or streaming on the other nic?

Thanks!

kdragon75

Wizard
This is a great way to get hacked and have your server hijacked. Use a router and port forwarding to allow outside connections to you NAS (plex, transmission, etc..)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
This is a great way to get hacked and have your server hijacked. Use a router and port forwarding to allow outside connections to you NAS (plex, transmission, etc..)

Correct. Install Plex in a jail and follow their guidelines for enabling authenticated remote access and port-forwarding through your router.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289506-remote-access/

It's a very bad idea to open ports from the Internet directly to the main FreeNAS install. Even if I need to remotely support a unit from offsite I will connect to a VPN/tunnel endpoint hosted on a different device/appliance, and then bounce to the unit's IP from that point.

lixenstrand

Cadet

sorry of course i would never have my network open to the internet, I always use ports and vpn for different ways of having hardware connecting to my network.

What I wanted to know was if my second nic, the one that's just for my kodi setups, will they be able to use internet through the other nic, or is there no sharing of internet between the two nics?

Correct. Install Plex in a jail and follow their guidelines for enabling authenticated remote access and port-forwarding through your router.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289506-remote-access/

It's a very bad idea to open ports from the Internet directly to the main FreeNAS install. Even if I need to remotely support a unit from offsite I will connect to a VPN/tunnel endpoint hosted on a different device/appliance, and then bounce to the unit's IP from that point.

alright cool, thanks for the tip. I'll look in to it

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Ah, you're looking at this for a bandwidth capacity situation, where your concern is that someone streaming Plex or downloading P2P externally could choke all the bandwidth available to your FreeNAS machine.

Streaming video data isn't particularly latency-sensitive, so unless you are fully saturating the link it shouldn't be an issue to share one network connection for external Plex, Transmission/P2P downloads, and internal Plex/Kodi streaming.

If you are talking about having two separate networks, and connecting them using FreeNAS as the "router" then there is no functionality and it's not recommended that you use FreeNAS in this way.

If you're looking for more bandwidth across multiple sessions, and your network switch supports it, you could use link aggregation.

lixenstrand

Cadet
Yeah exactly =) English is not my first language but i'm glad you understood me in the end.

Thanks, i'll look in to link aggregation.

Status
Not open for further replies.