Two Network-Cards > 2 IPs; but how to maintain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinz lindemann

Dabbler
Hi,
as described in earlier postings I am using my "old" PC with a bunch HDDs as a freeNAS. The LAN-onboard (with WOL capability) seems too slow to me. So I added an Intel Pro 1000 gt into a pci slot.

The Intel device can do WOL basically, but the board does not support PME. As a consequence I would like to assign two IPs to my freeNAS (also access the share via different IPs)

I see the two interfaces fxp0 and em0, but I cannot assign two different IPs to them.

Q: Is this basically possible? Any advice?

Regards, hl

D

dlavigne

What you are trying to accomplish isnt quite clear. Can you layout what IPs you wish to go with each NIC?

heinz lindemann

Dabbler
What you are trying to accomplish isnt quite clear. Can you layout what IPs you wish to go with each NIC?

Hi, sorry for delayed reply....

Well, this is an excellent question. My intension was to boost the performance by just switching from the "mobo 100Mbit LAN" to a "pci-Intel Pro 1Gbit". However, the old Fujitsu Siemens board BIOS (a very stable one!) does not support PME via pci, meaning I can wake it up via onboard LAN but not via the Intel card.
Besides my failing, I would have expected a troublefree maintenance of two ips for two lan cards. Furthermore, once you have two ips you need to have a selection switch to decide which ip (=which card) is used for accessing the webui. But the config is not transparent here...
And, please see "Gianluca's post", you could optimize the traffic using the slow or fast connection. Consider how cheap the dual LAN cards are...

Does it make sense?
Any development in this direction?

Regards, hl

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So wake it up using the onboard and use the good interface for everything else. What's the hangup?

heinz lindemann

Dabbler
So wake it up using the onboard and use the good interface for everything else. What's the hangup?

Hi,

exactly, this is the plan...
Especially, considering that there are two shares and my w7 has trouble to access them.
-A set if HDD in RAID1 on a RAID controller in pci slot > accessed via net use command by ip (mobo LAN currently)
-A set of IDE HDD on controller of board > accessed via net use command by server name "freenas"

So, RAID accessing via "fast card", IDE accessing via board LAN is the goal.

I can create two interfaces, assing one of them to webUI, but somehow no access....
Regards, hl

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It doesn't work that way. Do what I suggested and just forget using the crappy mainboard ethernet for traffic.

heinz lindemann

Dabbler
Hi,

-to jgreco-

I am not sure whether this was what you suggested...

so I deleted the interface from moboLAN on purpose from freenas. Then created a new interface for Intel PCI-LAN...
WoL via moboLAN, data traffic via Intel-LAN. It works, and my feeling is, it is faster (70-80 MB/sec)...

The only negative side: 2 network cables needed...

Regards, hl

Status
Not open for further replies.