Tutorial Video by DrKK on Installing Murmur/Mumble in FreeNAS/FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Elsewhere in the forum, I have a convoluted guide to installing Murmur in a FreeNAS. As FreeNAS has advanced in version and features and as the jail templates have been updated, some aspects to that older guide are giving users some trouble.

Hence, I've made what I think is a pretty boss video tutorial on youtube, where I am explaining what I'm doing, and why, for installing the Murmur server.
I think even as we move forward, that tutorial should be clear enough that you can get it done even if things change a bit down the road.

Note: I install murmur in a "standard" jail, using pkg. This is not the hard-core way to do it (which would be a custom install from ports), but it is the easiest way. I take you through the configuration of the jail, the updating of pkg, the installation of the sshd service, and then, finally the installation of murmur, its configuration, and the initialization of its database, and first uses.

If this is popular, I'll consider doing one for owncloud + lighttpd.

HERE IS THE LINK to the youtube video.

Comments and criticisms are accepted in the spirit in which they are given.

Ox |

Cadet
I can vouch that this video is top notch, and everything youll need to have your own server running in under 20minutes!

indy

Patron
Very helpful!
I remember having some troubles following your written guide but this worked first try.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Very helpful!
I remember having some troubles following your written guide but this worked first try.
Excellent. Glad it's proving useful to you guys.

soulburn

Contributor
This worked out great! Thanks so much for posting this! FYI to get this to autostart when the jail is started, run the following:
Code:
sysrc 'murmur_enable=YES' 

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This worked out great! Thanks so much for posting this! FYI to get this to autostart when the jail is started, run the following:
Code:
sysrc 'murmur_enable=YES' 
There is no way I left that off of the video...? Is there?

soulburn

Contributor
Sorry I skimmed to the relevant parts! I should have watched it completely. Thanks again!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Sorry I skimmed to the relevant parts! I should have watched it completely. Thanks again!
All of my videos are works of art that should be consumed in their entirety sir!!! :)

indy

Patron
So I redid my jails and watched your tutorial again.
I remember back in 2014 I had to follow your guide blindly, this time I understood every step.
Pretty cool, thanks again :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thank you sir. Good thing the tutorial is still valid after a couple years :)

melloa

Wizard
Thank you sir. Good thing the tutorial is still valid after a couple years :)

Yes it is, but coming from @DrKK is bullet proof also ;)

Carlos D

Dabbler
Hey @DrKK, I'm stuck at the step where you ssh into the specific jail.. Whenever I try to ssh, it just gets me to the freenas instead of the jail.
I have to ssh in the jail because I can't save the changes after editing a file with nano with the shell in browser... the ctrl+x basically doesn't get recognized by the in-browser shell.

I'm able to ssh in root@freenas but what I'm trying to do is to ssh in root@Murmurjail to edit the files for the jail specifically, not my freenas..

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Right, when you ssh, if it gives you the FreeNAS itself rather than the jail, the reason for that, 100% of the time, is that you don't have the ssh service running in the jail, and without VIMAGE, it will therefore fallback to the FreeNAS listener on that port. So your ssh is not running, and there's nothing to sign in to.

So do this. ssh into your freenas. Hit "jls". This will list, by number, the running jails you have. Then get into your jail by
Code:
jexec 1 /bin/sh
. Replace the "1" with whatever number the relevant jail is. That will get you into your jail and you can proceed from there. When you're done in the jail, hit "exit", and you'll be back at your FreeNAS.

Carlos D

Dabbler
Right, when you ssh, if it gives you the FreeNAS itself rather than the jail, the reason for that, 100% of the time, is that you don't have the ssh service running in the jail, and without VIMAGE, it will therefore fallback to the FreeNAS listener on that port. So your ssh is not running, and there's nothing to sign in to.

So do this. ssh into your freenas. Hit "jls". This will list, by number, the running jails you have. Then get into your jail by
Code:
jexec 1 /bin/sh
. Replace the "1" with whatever number the relevant jail is. That will get you into your jail and you can proceed from there. When you're done in the jail, hit "exit", and you'll be back at your FreeNAS.
Thanks, that worked!
Any chance you have the steps to make it available on the internet? in the vid you mentioned it needed port forward to make it fully work.. Let me know, thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You will need to set a "port forward" in your router.

This will require you logging in to the router itself, you will need to set a port forward for whatever your Mumble port is (default is 64738) for BOTH the UDP and TCP protocols, forward to "same as incoming port", to the IP address for the jail for your Mumble jail.

There are (literally) 25 quintillion tutorials on setting up port forwards out on the internet.

Carlos D

Dabbler
I did the port forwarding (with the jail's IP) but it's only letting me connect when I use my external IP address. Is this the way it's supposed to work? Is there a way to assign a custom IP for the mumble jai and use that one to connect to it instead of my external IP?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are outside your home network you have to use the external ip address. If inside the network it should work fine with whatever address the jail is.

Basically think of it like a office phone system. Joe down the hall calls you at extension 21 and you answer. Then Joe leaves and calls a regular phone number from his cell while he is out of the building and at lunch and get the same phone he called earlier but it was then extension 21 and now it was 405 555 1212.

That is how a port forward works, if it doesn't work that way then I would guess you put the jail in a DMZ which is a bad thing. Maybe look up your router at https://portforward.com/

arturbaiski

Cadet
First, thank you for the tutorial. I'm a complete noob to BSD and got stuck on one of the steps. I think it's because I'm running FreeNAS 11.

After inputing in root@Murmurjail:/var/db/murmur # murmurd -supw ******
Code:
<W>2018-02-11 20:16:41.016 ServerDB: Opened SQLite database /var/db/murmur/murmur.sqlite
<W>2018-02-11 20:16:41.017 Generating new tables...
/usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so.0: Undefined symbol "fdatasync"

root@Murmurjail:/var/db/murmur # ll
total 1
-rw-r-----  1 root  murmur	0 Feb 11 20:16 murmur.sqlite
-rw-r-----  1 root  murmur  512 Feb 11 20:16 murmur.sqlite-journal

I have no clue what fdatasync means or why I have the journal file generated but I immediately noticed issues as the sqlite file is 0kb in size.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Status
Not open for further replies.