Trying to get off nightlies train 11.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mow4cash

Contributor
I'm currently on the nightlies train and trying to get off since development on 11.2 has finally caught up. I detached my pool and tried to import it on a fresh install of 11.2 with an error that the pool is using feature flags not supported. Is there a way to narrow down what feature flags are causing the error and find out when they will be implemented in a stable train?

I also tried downgrading to a 9.10 boot environment. From there I was able to update to (edit 11.2) stable train. It boots to shell on 11.2 but that is as far as I get with no gui. From shell I can't get to console using /usr/libexec/getty freenas to check if networking is setup correctly. I can understand why I may not be able to import a pool but I thought going back to an old boot environment and upgrading the train is fully supported?

Any insight would be appreciated thanks.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I also tried downgrading to a 9.10 boot environment. From there I was able to update to 10.2 stable train.
10.2? I would suggest you try 11.1-U6

upload_2018-12-2_16-0-20.png

upload_2018-12-2_16-1-10.png

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The release map has 11.2 completed so I thought it was ready to go.
There are still some bugs being reported and that will probably stay around for a while because of the big rewrite to change the GUI from 11.1 to 11.2. It really is a massive undertaking and they will probably still be finding thing that are not quite right until 11.2-U1 or U2. Just remember that RC stands for Release Candidate and even when they switch to RELEASE, it may still have some things that need to be worked out. I don't feel like 11.1 was fully stable until U6 and even now there are some things that could be fixed if they would release U7, but they decided to focus on getting people to adopt 11.2 so they would have the wider base of users to do testing and report bugs. Purely my theory, but I believe that they marked it as a "Stable Train" in an effort to get people to move to it, stable or not, so they can get the bug reports to find and fix the problems.

pschatz100

Guru
From the original post, it looks like you completed a fresh install of FreeNAS 11.2-RC2 OK, but then had issues importing your data pools due to errors about new feature flags not being supported. Is that correct?

If yes, then trying to install some other version of FreeNAS will not help. If you updated the ZFS version of your pools when running updates from the nightlies train, I don't think there is any way to go back to another version of FreeNAS that supports an older version of ZFS. You can run older versions of ZFS in newer versions of FreeNAS, but not the other way around.

FreeNAS will complain about old versions of ZFS, but they'll work.

mow4cash

Contributor
From the original post, it looks like you completed a fresh install of FreeNAS 11.2-RC2 OK, but then had issues importing your data pools due to errors about new feature flags not being supported. Is that correct?

If yes, then trying to install some other version of FreeNAS will not help.

Correct.

That's what I thought. Now I'm trying to figure out what feature flags I have that aren't supported so I can figure out when they are expected to be added. I don't want to rebuild the pool just to find out they will be added to 11.2. For all I know it could be an issue with 11.2rc and it has a bug not letting me import the volume. I also read somewhere that if the new feature flags are not being used it will still let you go back. I can't find any info on what feature flags are for what releases and when they were added.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I tried updating from 9.10 to 11.1-U6, it won't boot completely because of errors.
Normally, you can take an newer ZFS version back to an older version of FreeNAS as long as you have not USED the new feature flags. Did you do some task that actively utilized the new features?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

mow4cash

Contributor

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's in FreeBSD 12 and it's been there long enough for me to be surprised that it's not in FreeNAS yet. You can file a feature request and see what @mav@ thinks about bringing that into FreeNAS 11.3.

Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to import that pool without that feature flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.