Truenas turns off brutally if I connect the LAN cable

GUAGGIO

Dabbler
Hi everyone, for a few days now my NAS has been giving me this problem:
if I plug in the network cable it starts up but at a certain point it abruptly shuts down.
However, if I unplug it and connect it after startup, sometimes it turns off and other times it works normally.
However, when it works, once out of two, the card goes at 100Mbps and not 1Gbps.

My setup is
MB : Asus P5B
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
RAM: 6GB
HDD Boot: 500GB Sata from Seagate

I would like to point out that it worked correctly before.
Could anyone help me?

I apologize if there are problems with the post but this is my first time posting.

somethingweird

Contributor
sound like a realtek NIC card!

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't have your power problems, but I do have a system from around that era (slightly newer 3rd-gen i3-3220T) with a similar Realtek NIC that would sometimes connect at 100M instead of 1G. I swapped the ethernet cable with a higher quality one and it fixed the problem. Something you may want to try also.

GUAGGIO

Dabbler
I tried changing cables and also routers. Nothing always the same problem.
The strange thing is that I didn't have any problems before. Recognized immediately. Ah I forgot to mention that I have truenas core U13.

GUAGGIO

Dabbler
I tried changing cables and also routers. Nothing always the same problem.
The strange thing is that I didn't have any problems before. Recognized immediately. Ah I forgot to mention that I have truenas core U13.
I tried with another network card connected to PCIexpress, always Realtek, and by disabling the internal one, it gives me the same problem.
Literally identical.
Now if it were the card I don't think it would give me problems with the other one. I also tried disabling all USB in the bios, and it seems that the only problem is that I can't use the keyboard like this.

somethingweird

Contributor
Are you saying it's due to the poor quality of the card?
Yes. Do some reading/research on Realtek NIC on this forum please.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello @GUAGGIO

If you are experiencing a sudden shutdown - equivalent to pulling out the power - then you should be investigating potential hardware faults, such as a short to ground on your motherboard.

Can you please provide the version of TrueNAS you are using? Your hardware is also rather "long in the tooth" as it were, and does not meet the recommended minimum requirements for the current TrueNAS release.

rogerh

Guru
If you are experiencing a sudden shutdown - equivalent to pulling out the power - then you should be investigating potential hardware faults, such as a short to ground on your motherboard.
Unless it's rather uncommon shielded ethernet cable it shouldn't have any dc path, should it?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Unless it's rather uncommon shielded ethernet cable it shouldn't have any dc path, should it?
I'm thinking more like "broken trace on board, or loose component" and the physical force of plugging in the cable is enough to shift things sufficiently to make it disconnect.

VioletDragon

Patron
Sounds like a bad Port on the motherboard or traces, could even be a grounding problem.

As the hardware is LGA775 it’s too old to even bother with. Better to replace the hardware than spend money on such old hardware.

You could buy an Intel S1200BTL which is Ivybridge and has ECC RAM support quite cheap on eBay.

No ECC Memory although Non ECC will work it is not recommended.

GUAGGIO

Dabbler
Hello @GUAGGIO

Can you please provide the version of TrueNAS you are using? Your hardware is also rather "long in the tooth" as it were, and does not meet the recommended minimum requirements for the current TrueNAS release.
Good evening everyone and happy new year.
The version is 13-U5.3
Excuse me if I answer now but my studies have absorbed me. Eventually I noticed that the voltages on the power supply were too low so I replaced the power supply.
Now everything works properly, the system starts and does not give the problems it had before.
Sounds like a bad Port on the motherboard or traces, could even be a grounding problem.

As the hardware is LGA775 it’s too old to even bother with. Better to replace the hardware than spend money on such old hardware.

You could buy an Intel S1200BTL which is Ivybridge and has ECC RAM support quite cheap on eBay.

No ECC Memory although Non ECC will work it is not recommended.
Yes, I know it would be better to buy new hardware but since it was working and hadn't given me any problems up until now, he wanted to see if I could get it started again.