TrueNAS SCALE - Only device on network with DNS issues, no pihole or proxy

jbarranco

Dabbler
Seems to be a common denominator on many other threads that incorrect configuration while setting up a pihole/reverse proxy is the root cause. I have tried all the solutions, and nothing is working. My initial indication that something was going wrong was on appliance startup, two critical errors appeared:

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 9.25.39 PM.png

I went to the shell and tried both ping and nslookup to google.com. Nothing/timeouts for both. I can ping all other devices on my home network from the shell. nslookup can't be performed on anything external.

Next step was to check network settings. SCALE's default gateway is my router address: 192.168.0.1. The router assigns DNS for the entire network. Currently 8.8.8.8 and 0.0.0.0.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 9.28.09 PM.png

I previously had pihole installed, but it has been stopped and DNS settings in the Network tab shows only the three ip addresses above for DNS servers. (see screenshot). My TrueNAS box is the only one with DNS issues on my network. I have tried other machines connected to the same exact switch, I have flushed DNS on Windows, Mac, and Linux boxes to confirm caching wasn't causing some kind of false positive.

I'm kind of at a loss to explain why after multiple restarts and removing all references to the previous pihole dns that TrueNAS is still not able to reach out to the open internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by my wife and child so they can see me again....