Truenas VM DNS Issues

ShiftyEyedKirk

Dabbler
Hey everyone. I've just installed my first TrueNAS server at home and I have installed an Ubuntu 20.04 server onto it as a VM. This VM only exists to have docker installed on it and run my pihole as well as a few other utilities. It was working fine for a day or so until I realized the pihole wasn't getting any requests. When I checked the VM, it had an internet connection (could ping 8.8.8.8) but couldn't resolve any names. I tried checking every dns service and config file under the sun, but still no joy. Finally I got fed up and tried to install a fresh VM. After all that, the new vm still wouldn't connect. I'm going out of my mind. Surely there's some network setting missing? TrueNas itself can dns resolve. Just none of the VMs can!

KrisBee

Wizard
Which version of TrueNAS? CORE or SCALE?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What happens if you run "nslookup www.cnn.com. 8.8.8.8" inside the Ubuntu VM (the apparently extra period in there is not a typo).

This is intended to check your underlying assumption that you can't resolve any names. If this command returns the normal fastly list, then the VM can indeed resolve names and it is just something broken in the configuration on the VM/pihole/something like that.

ShiftyEyedKirk

Dabbler
I am running TrueNas Core. So I solved it late at night yesterday by following this thread. It looks like a tutorial made me change some of my TrueNas tunables that blocked my VMs from connecting, but removing those variables prevents my OpenVPN connection from having access to the rest of my network. So it looks like I have a lot more reading to do!