TrueNAS Scale Build using old hardware

br0d0

Cadet
Hi all,

I’ve got an old server that I’d like to repurpose for TrueNAS and wanted to get some advice to see if it’s worth it or if I should upgrade the hardware.
Goals: I’m building a VMware home lab and wanted to connect to some TrueNAS storage.
Budget: I’ll spend more if I must.

TrueNAS Scale Box (mostly using old hardware I already have):
MB: Supermicro X10SRL-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630L v3 (could buy something like a E5-2630 on ebay instead?)
Ram: 128 GB (8x16GB) Crucial DDR4 2133 RECC CT16G4RFD4213
Case: Norco 4224
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W PSU
RAID Cards: 2 x IBM M1015 flashed appropriately
OS: 2 x 256GB sata ssds for boot pool (have to purchase these)
VMware iSCSI lab storage: Some striped mirrored SSDs? Not sure yet as have to research SLOG, L2ARC (have to purchase these)
Data: 8 x 4TB WDRED HDDs in 1 dev RAIDz2 (I think)
Nic: Dual 10GB of some sort (have to purchase these)

What do you think? Should I try to salvage any of this or build from scratch?

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Hardware looks like it could do the job at least to some degree.

Since it's a lab, maybe consider no SLOG and just go with sync=disabled (if occasional backups are enough safety to not lose work).

If it's not 24x7 operations critical, also a single SSD boot drive is fine, just back up your config when you make big config changes.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
This is a pretty nice system in my view. Without more details on the performance requirements I would definitely give it a try.

br0d0

Cadet
This is a pretty nice system in my view. Without more details on the performance requirements I would definitely give it a try.
Thanks. I do have a bit of research to do to come up with a proper plan but I can work on that now knowing that it's viable, with a bit of tweaking.

I did research a TrueNAS system back when the hardware was current but elected to go another route for all data including media. I think I'd like to keep my other NAS to use as: (1) storage for media and; (2) backup for personal files/photos and documents.

This TrueNAS system would then have two storage pools: (1) iSCSI VMware lab storage, and; (2) storage for personal files/photos and documents (with another backup for those in Google Drive or something as well as the other NAS). I'm not too worried about backup up media.

Now I guess I'll do the research and sort out exactly how I can build this thing.

Cheers