TrueNAS performance is slow

ECC

Explorer
Hi,
Today i wanted to test the performance of my truenas server. For this, i wanted to test my raiz1 pool, which has 3x5TB HDDs an 32GB ECC RAM. Network connections is via 1GBit/s: TrueNAS -> 8port GBit Switch -> Win PC
I tested with h2tesw via smb share.
After runing for about 20min, the write speed dropped from 80 to 60 MByte/s.

I only enabled SMART, NFS and SMB Services, the rest is default truenas settings (12.0 u1)

artlessknave

Wizard
pretty sure you need to read the forum rules first, but 60-80 MB/s is pretty standard for that connection.

ECC

Explorer
pretty sure you need to read the forum rules first, but 60-80 MB/s is pretty standard for that connection.
ok, don't know what this has to do with forum rules, but 60-80MB/s is pretty slow, if the drive can support upt o 100MB/s. In comparison with other NAS OS, I thought TrueNAS should have a decent performance speed, given the fact of its huge HW ressources (eg. RAM).

KrisBee

Wizard
What filesystem is being used in those "other NAS OS"? zfs is not designed to be the fastest, it's designed for data integrity. What transfer speeds do you get with a simple file copy to a TrueNAS SMB share via file explorer? I'd expect it to vary with file size, number of sub dirs/files etc, but it ought to be more like 100MB/s for your raidz1 pool.

ECC

Explorer
What transfer speeds do you get with a simple file copy to a TrueNAS SMB share via file explorer?
I tested it with a 2GB File and the transfer speed was constant at 80MB/s. Read Speed was constant 113MB/s (Probably because of RAM Cache)

KrisBee

Wizard
NIC hardware in FreeNAS is?

artlessknave

Wizard
ok, don't know what this has to do with forum rules,
probably because you didn't read the forum rules. if you had, you would know what it has to do with them, and hopefully, improve the post in a way that improves the changes of getting answers.

ECC

Explorer

ECC

Explorer
probably because you didn't read the forum rules. if you had, you would know what it has to do with them, and hopefully, improve the post in a way that improves the changes of getting answers.
ok, so thank you for not helping me, great?:rolleyes:

artlessknave

Wizard
as far as I'm concerned, nothing is wrong, because those speeds are around normal for spinning platter drives and a gigabit connection.
unfortunately.
you get a bit faster at the start and then it slows down. 100MB is with like the Gods on your side helping out or when the planets align.
you also have posted absolutely nothing about your hardware but your NIC, that I can see. for all we know you could be running a D525, on which I'm pretty sure 80MBs would be absolutely screaming and amazing. again, you would know this is a requirement...if you read the forum rules. I'm not going to tell you everything that's IN the forum rules, because you can just go read them. it is considered a very, very basic step to do so and make it easier for people to help you. most of the knowledgeable people in this forum who could help simply wont reply if you clearly can't follow a basic step.
advising you to follow the forum rules is helping you, because that's more likely to get you a response from someone who can help.

ECC

Explorer

artlessknave

Wizard
it looks like st5000dm003 is SMR: you're gonna see really bad performance with writes, and unbelievable performance with rebuilds. so bad that it might kill your pool, as any resliver has a very good chance of losing the pool when ZFS decides the drive that is actually just very slow is instead dead.
when i say bad, i mean 1 or 2 week resilver times have been observed.
most drive makers are now putting SMR into desktop drive lines, and WD has even been sneaking them into their NAS lines. I won't buy WD anymore if I can at all avoid it. SMR drives typically perform like hot garbage in any RAID-like configuration.
you've invested a solid amount into the rest of your hardware but the shucked and desktop drives are usually really weak.

ECC

Explorer
it looks like st5000dm003 is SMR
I don't know, I bought that drive long time ago, but I always looked out if the drive has SMR. To my knowledge, I always tried to buy CMR drives.
As I always perform a test with h2testw_1.4 for new drives, slow speeds (that indicate smr) would have appeared. I know that you are refering to this article, maybe it is really a smr drive...
Well, it is "only" my backup pool, but maybe it is better to replace this smr drive someday. If I replace the smr drive with a pmr/cmr drive, resilvering should run with "normal" speed?
but the shucked and desktop drives are usually really weak
I can't understand why they are "weak". I read that modern WD external drives (>8TB) mostly contain WD Red&Red Pro drives, which are mostly used in NAS systems /RAIDs. Atm, I didn't shuck them, but I will in a few days. I have to look out for cheap HDD prices and I don't want to spend double the price for the same product. Furthermore, I won't run my NAS 24/7, so the use of consumer external drives, which aren't meant to run 24/7, fits more my desired use case.

artlessknave

Wizard
modern WD red drives are SMR. they silently torpedo'd the product line. only WD red PRO are reliably CMR....until WD tries to sneak SMR into that line too. which is why I don't buy WD drives anymore.
many SMR drives are specifically designed with systems to mitigate the performance issues, which has the dubious feature of also hiding that they are SMR at all. drive manufacturers spent a bunch of time telling people that SMR was the boogeyman and now they are kinda screwed since SMR is good for some things. this is one of the reasons they are trying to slip them in quietly to lines that didnt have them.
they are weak because they are not as good as drives designed for the purpose of a nas. its not just 24/7 operation, they are also designed to better handle being in the same case as a large number of other drives, vibrating like a NSFW toy, and better able to handle the cooling issues of having lines of drives spinning and making heat.
I didnt say you cant or necessarily shouldnt use them, just that you need to be aware of their limitations and the fact that they are cheaper because they were designed to be used differently.

ChrisRJ

Wizard

artlessknave

Wizard
oh. right. so there are 3 lines of wd red. still muddies the series, since red have been recommended for awhile but now you have to research which red NAS drives can actually be used in a ....NAS.

Last edited: