TrueNas Mini Pool setup with 1 read and 1 write accelerator SSD

dtodd

Cadet
The short version is the configuration which shipped with the TrueNAS Mini was erased.
I'm looking for confirmation on the Pool setup with the give disks:

4 HDDs (which I know will be the data pool).
1 480GB SSD (which the invoice references as the Read Cache (Mini R1) disk) - I guess would be added to the Pool as a VDEV > Cache (ZFS L2ARC)?
1 16GB SSD (referenced as Write Cache (Mini W1) - which I thought would be added to the Pool as a VDEV > Log BUT I get an error about the configuration not being recommended.

Does any know if this is correct or recommend that best configuration?

Thanks

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

Couple of thoughts:

1. Contact iXsystems and ask them for the information you have asked for here.

2. Depending on how you got to where you are, the configuration file may still be on your system, as there is an automatic daily backup.

The config db file is named freenas-v1.db and is located at: /data:

1644361471274.png

However, if that directory is located on a boot device that is failed, we can't get it there.
There is a copy that is automatically saved for you in the system dataset, if the system dataset is on the storage pool.
If you created a datapool, the system dataset is automatically moved to it (assuming that you didn't move it back).
If you think you still have a datapool, make a fresh install of TrueNAS on a new boot media, and import the storage pool, you should find the previous config db at this path: /var/db/system/ plus another directory that will be named configs-****random_characters****.

This is what one of mine mine looks like:

1644361136936.png

If you can get that far, come back and tell us and we can guide you to the next steps to get hold of your contig file and reload it.

Good luck!