TrueNAS Mini XL+ w/ SLOG & L2ARC?

TrueNASty

Cadet
Hi,

I've got a:

1) TrueNAS Mini XL+ Compact ZFS Storage Server with 8 + 1 Drive Bays, 32GB RAM, Eight Core CPU, Dual 1/10 Gigabit Network
2) 8x WD Red 10 TB drives
3) TrueNAS Mini 480GB Read Cache (L2ARC) Upgrade
4) iXsystems TrueNAS Mini Write Cache (ZIL) Upgrade

Regarding 3 & 4, I bought from these links respectively:

I'm not sure that why they're marketed differently because when I got them, they appear to be identical: two 480GB SSDs.

Anyway, I installed the two SSDs internally on the two available bay areas and I filled up the 8 3.5" hotswappable bays with the WD Red 10 TB drives. I may add a 1TB SSD to the top hot swappable bay at some point.

When I went to configure the two SSDs as L2ARC and SLOG drives, I got confused, so I had a little discussion with ChatGPT and this is what it recommended I do:

Partition two SSDs, allocating 32GB on each for SLOG and using the remaining space for L2ARC. The SLOG partitions will be mirrored between the two SSDs, while L2ARC will be set up without mirroring.

I tried to partition the SSDs from the shell to no avail. Does this seem like a good setup? Or should I try something else?

Thanks,
TrueNASty

somethingweird

Contributor
you should at least max out RAM before you start with L2ARC.

At what point does l2arc make sense

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
I'm not sure that why they're marketed differently because when I got them, they appear to be identical: two 480GB SSDs.
From one review it appears the ""write cache"" one (SLOG, which is not exactly a write cache) should be overprovisioned and appear as a 16GB drive. Maybe iX Staff can tell you more.

When I went to configure the two SSDs as L2ARC and SLOG drives, I got confused, so I had a little discussion with ChatGPT and this is what it recommended I do:

Partition two SSDs, allocating 32GB on each for SLOG and using the remaining space for L2ARC. The SLOG partitions will be mirrored between the two SSDs, while L2ARC will be set up without mirroring.
Do not use ChatGPT!! It's NOT a reliable source!!

Completely trash what it has told you: you shouldn't do any partitioning using TN, and you should NEVER use a single drive for different purposes, especially a SLOG!

As others said, you should have at least 64GB of RAM in order to consider L2ARC.

The proceudre is simple: from the WebUI add another vdev to the pool you want, then select CACHE (for L2ARC) or LOG (for SLOG).

EDIT: RED drives (without PLUS or PRO) are SMR, which is NOT compatibile with ZFS!

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As others said, you should have at least 64GB of RAM in order to consider a SLOG.
Not really, the need for SLOG is essentially independent of system memory. An SLOG is necessary if the in-pool ZIL cannot keep up with the required performance and disabling sync is unacceptable.

Davvo

MVP
Not really, the need for SLOG is essentially independent of system memory. An SLOG is necessary if the in-pool ZIL cannot keep up with the required performance and disabling sync is unacceptable.
Absolutely, I wrote SLOG instead of L2ARC. Thank you for pointing it out, editing immediately.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
From one review it appears the ""write cache"" one (SLOG, which is not exactly a write cache) should be overprovisioned and appear as a 16GB drive. Maybe iX Staff can tell you more.
Correct; the "write cache" SSD should be overprovisioned and show up in your system as a 16GiB unit.

@TrueNASty do both of your SSDs show up as 480GiB in the UI? If your write log wasn't set to 16GiB from the factory, you can do this either from a GUI setting or the shell by following the tutorial here (for CORE):

Unfortunately ChatGPT is not accurate when it comes to recommending technical information or how-to's for TrueNAS.

TrueNASty

Cadet
Based on what you folks are saying it sounds like I'd be better off putting these SDDs into a mirror and using them for Virtual Machines or whatnot.

TrueNASty

Cadet
Correct; the "write cache" SSD should be overprovisioned and show up in your system as a 16GiB unit.

@TrueNASty do both of your SSDs show up as 480GiB in the UI? If your write log wasn't set to 16GiB from the factory, you can do this either from a GUI setting or the shell by following the tutorial here (for CORE):

Unfortunately ChatGPT is not accurate when it comes to recommending technical information or how-to's for TrueNAS.
Yeah, both drives show up as 480GiB in the UI under Storage > Disks.

1697292476819.png

I put them in a pool temporarily but I haven't really used them for anything yet. I can always delete it and use them for something else if you guys think it makes better sense.

Regarding overprovisioning, these are my current settings:

1697292778697.png

Davvo

MVP
SLOG is not influenced by RAM, it is used alongside VMs/block storage; L2ARC requires at least 64GB of RAM in order to justify its usage.
Just to make things clear since I miswrote and conseguently edited this part in my previous post.

Etorix

Wizard
SLOG is for sync writes. No sync writes, no SLOG, irrespective of RAM. Over-provisioning is for resiliency, since SLOG duty is write heavy (and mostly write only).

With respect to L2ARC, you need sizeable RAM before even considering L2ARC, but more RAM means you're less likely to benefit from L2ARC.

It's quite possible you don't need either and that the drives may be repurposed as a fast mirror pool for apps/jails/VMs.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yeah, both drives show up as 480GiB in the UI under Storage > Disks.

View attachment 71194

I put them in a pool temporarily but I haven't really used them for anything yet. I can always delete it and use them for something else if you guys think it makes better sense.

Regarding overprovisioning, these are my current settings:

View attachment 71195
If the VMs you're using will fit entirely into the 480G size limit of your SSD pool, that's definitely the easiest solution. If you did want to set up cache/log then set the "log overprovision size" to 16G in the settings option before adding it.