TrueNas Core or Scale for medium usage?

Etorix

Wizard
MB: X11SCA-F 1151 ( Single LAN with Intel® PHY I219LM LAN controller + Single LAN with Intel® Ethernet Controller I210-AT, Shared with IPMI)
OR
X11SCL-F (Dual LAN with 1GbE with Intel® I210)
OR X11SSL-F (Dual LAN with Intel® Ethernet Controller I210-AT, I hope it doesn't differ too much from I210))
X11SCA-F is a C246 "workstation" motherboard in ATX size, with IPMI. Not the prime choice for a server, but it can do the job.
X11SCL-F is a C242 server motherboard.
X11SSL-F is a C232 server motherboard. Older generation. Any i210 variant is an i210 for our purpose.
If they are at similar price points, the natural choice is the X11SCL-F if 6 SATA ports are enough. If the larger size is no issue or if you need 8 SATA ports and/or a bit more PCIe expansion, the X11SCA may be worth considering.

No 10 Gb/s, but considering that I don't need it, I can close one eye :D , it would be certainly nice to have 10 Gb/s in the MB network card, ut I'm going crazy with all the SKUs...
On-board 10 GbE is rare and expensive with these socketed boards. Better add a network card.

CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v6 (they go from V2 upt o V6, no difference for my usage I guess)
Major difference: They don't all use the same socket!
Xeon E3v6 is for X11SSL. X11SC_-F require a Xeon E-2100/2200 or Core i3-8100/9100 (there is NO practical difference between a Core i3-8100 and a Xeon E-2124G, save for the list price).

What do you think?
You're on the right track. But mind the generations.

TDi39

Dabbler
You're on the right track. But mind the generations.

Thank you, very good insights, but what do you mean by this?

If you are talking about security, this is what I can say.
My NAS will be private, no public access, but with videocameras, I may need to arrange a VPN, tough I always think that it's useless if I'll live in a residential area and I have insurance for the items inside (including car), less fear of losing items, certainly not gold or easy materials, I also wonder who could come to steal something :rolleyes:, but maybe my sexy not so worth motorbike could be spotted by someone, and even with that, I do have insurance...
So, it could be just for my own security and I could avoid internet access, so my network will be all firewalled and everything runs in private VLANs, excluding the NAS connection and other monitoring services, but it's all heavily controlled, just to give you an idea, it's a strict static setup.

Etorix

Wizard
I meant "mind matching motherboard and CPU" (same generation). E3v1/2, E3v3/4, E3v5/6 and E-2000 are all different beasts.