Truenas Core plugins

georkhawam

Dabbler
Hi, i'm noob, starting 2 weeks ago in the world of the NAS o.s's
Following recommendations in internet, i decided to start with Truenas core, now i realize that appears like the Core version is being taken out and replaced by the Scale version. is it true ??

Impressed me the very few plugins that are available in Core with respect Scale version. For example, i NEED the app Cloudflared in my truenas core (for remote access to my server in cg-nat) and i've read that is no available for truenas core for being a "FreeBSD" o.s. Is there a way to install Cloudflared in Truenas Core now in 2023?? in the plugins "store" it doesn't appears. I'm desperate, it's disappointing to no find a solution for this since days ago that i'm searching.

Thanks in advance for help

danb35

Hall of Famer
appears like the Core version is being taken out and replaced by the Scale version. is it true ?
iX denies this is the case. Many of us are skeptical.
very few plugins that are available in Core
It's best to conclude that there are no plugins available in CORE. Plugins are a dead feature walking, will be completely removed in the next year or so, and never worked worth a damn in the first place. See:
and

victort

Guru
Hi, i'm noob, starting 2 weeks ago in the world of the NAS o.s's
Following recommendations in internet, i decided to start with Truenas core, now i realize that appears like the Core version is being taken out and replaced by the Scale version. is it true ??

Impressed me the very few plugins that are available in Core with respect Scale version. For example, i NEED the app Cloudflared in my truenas core (for remote access to my server in cg-nat) and i've read that is no available for truenas core for being a "FreeBSD" o.s. Is there a way to install Cloudflared in Truenas Core now in 2023?? in the plugins "store" it doesn't appears. I'm desperate, it's disappointing to no find a solution for this since days ago that i'm searching.

Thanks in advance for help
You can most definitely install cloudflared with a simple pkg install cloudflared from a jail.

Plugins are just automatic install scripts for certain software. The software itself can easily be installed on its own, but requires some manual work.

Some of us have created install scripts for just this purpose. See my signature for a list of them.

georkhawam

Dabbler
You can most definitely install cloudflared with a simple pkg install cloudflared from a jail.

Plugins are just automatic install scripts for certain software. The software itself can easily be installed on its own, but requires some manual work.

Some of us have created install scripts for just this purpose. See my signature for a list of them.

Can u help on how install Cloudflared using the method you tell ?? i haven't experience in writing codes in a black&white command console :oops:

georkhawam

Dabbler
i've installed truenas scale using another disc drive (for testing).. i've created test datasets and sharing by smb.. but the most important, i've accomplished install and making run Cloudflared (didn't find how to do it in Core)... i've configured a Tunnel and after several late nights reading posts in internet i've made to create an access to Truenas from outside network..

Now, a question for the experts here, is possible to access my SMB folders from outside network with Truenas scale using my Cloudflared Tunnel?? what's the port? how do it?? i think i'm close to achieving the goal *__* some help is welcome

victort

Guru
Can u help on how install Cloudflared using the method you tell ?? i haven't experience in writing codes in a black&white command console :oops:
It depends on what you want to do. To get it installed you can create a jail, then enter the jail shell and type pkg install cloudflared

It would probably be more efficient for you to use TrueNAS SCALE as that has simple point and click apps for this kind of stuff.

georkhawam

Dabbler
yeah, i've installed Scale, i'm testing.. (i feel Scale heavy, clumsy and slower than Core)

i already have the cloudflared tunnel ready. Now what i'm trying to solve is what to do for accessing my SMB folders from internet.

Actually what i've achieved is to open the TrueNas scale web gui, but (by now) don't know what to do to open my folders from internet in Windows file explorer & Android phone file gestor+ App.........

victort

Guru
yeah, i've installed Scale, i'm testing.. (i feel Scale heavy, clumsy and slower than Core)

i already have the cloudflared tunnel ready. Now what i'm trying to solve is what to do for accessing my SMB folders from internet.

Actually what i've achieved is to open the TrueNas scale web gui, but (by now) don't know what to do to open my folders from internet in Windows file explorer & Android phone file gestor+ App.........
If you want to try CORE, here are the basic steps to get cloudflared installed in a jail.

1. Create a jail and set your IP, gateway and other settings
2. Enter the jail shell and install cloudflared by pkg install cloudflared
3. Set up and retrieve you token from cloudflare website
4. Executive ethos command from the same shel
echo "/usr/local/bin/cloudflared tunnel run --token YOUR-TOKEN >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &" > /etc/rc.local

This should make the tunnel run at jail startup.

As far as mapping IPs and domains, you can do that from the Cloudflare website.

Here is a guide for the cloudflared service on TrueNAS
echo "/usr/local/bin/cloudflared tunnel run --token YOUR-TOKEN >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &" > /etc/rc.local

georkhawam

Dabbler
If you want to try CORE, here are the basic steps to get cloudflared installed in a jail.

1. Create a jail and set your IP, gateway and other settings
2. Enter the jail shell and install cloudflared by pkg install cloudflared
Thanks! I've done this, said something like "installed correctly"... here so far so good

But can't continue with this next, the process never asks me for my cloudflared token, don't know where to paste it... (the plugin still doesn't appear in the plugin list)

3. Set up and retrieve you token from cloudflare website
4. Executive ethos command from the same shel

This should make the tunnel run at jail startup.

As far as mapping IPs and domains, you can do that from the Cloudflare website.

Here is a guide for the cloudflared service on TrueNAS

georkhawam

Dabbler
Forget what i've said.. tunnel is working well (healthy).. the only rare i've noted is that cloudflared doesn't appears in the plugins List...

(Offtopic: why a forum admin must approve every message i write here?)

danb35

Hall of Famer
cloudflared doesn't appears in the plugins List.
Because you didn't install it as a plugin; you created a jail and installed it there. It will show up under Jails, not under Plugins.
(Offtopic: why a forum admin must approve every message i write here?)
Standard for new users for their first few posts--I'm not sure the threshold, but it's pretty low.

georkhawam

Dabbler
Thanks you all for help me.. the last! i have running cloudflare tunnel in my truenas core.. by now i have access only to the remote web login interface.

Now i want ask to the experts here, is possible to access my shared smb folders from outside my Lan (from internet) using my user/password smb credentials ?? how must be the hostname in "cloudflare public hostnames"? http?? tcp?? smb??(should be this)... think i've tried everything but can't connect adding smb from my android FileManager+app (using mobile data,obviously)..

can someone show me the right way? is it possible to do it in the way what i want? or there's a better tool for this? the conditions are those: 1.- access to my smb folders, and 2.- make it work through the cloudflare tunnel

Again, thanks !!

danb35

Hall of Famer
is possible to access my shared smb folders from outside my Lan (from internet) using my user/password smb credentials
Not using a Cloudflare tunnel AFAIK; that only proxies web content. And you definitely don't want to expose SMB shares to the outside world in any event. For this, you'd want some kind of VPN--the newer "zero trust" type like Zerotier or Tailscale might be easiest to work with.

georkhawam

Dabbler
Not using a Cloudflare tunnel AFAIK; that only proxies web content. And you definitely don't want to expose SMB shares to the outside world in any event. For this, you'd want some kind of VPN--the newer "zero trust" type like Zerotier or Tailscale might be easiest to work with.
It can be done using "traditional" VPNs?? i've read that normal vpn's only works when you have the possibility to open/redirect ports (when u have an public ip) That's not my case. My internet connection is behind cg-nat...

danb35

Hall of Famer
My internet connection is behind cg-nat
Then in that case, no, the more traditional type of VPN isn't likely to work for you. Tailscale/Zerotier and their ilk should, though.

georkhawam

Dabbler
I'VE GOT IT..!! (unfortunately i had to change to Scale :-/ )

But importat is now i got everything working like i ever wanted: easy and simple SMB folders access local and remote :cool::cool:

THE SOLUTION: Truenas scale + Tailscale app in truenas (in Tailscale app u have to configure and activate two features: subnets & exit node) + Tailscale app for my Android phone.

(i kept the cloudflared app only for remote access to the Truenas web interface)..

Thanks u all and happy new year... :wink:

danb35

Hall of Famer
(i kept the cloudflared app only for remote access to the Truenas web interface)..
I wouldn't recommend this--though Cloudflare is going to provide some protection, the TrueNAS web UI isn't intended to be exposed to the Internet.