TrueNAS core install fails on white square

MikeTrainer

Dabbler
Hi I saw a thread from someone with similar issue but they were using more advanced HW so I’m at a loss as to what my problem might be. I tried the same USB sticks that worked on my prior truenas build. I am Using an Asus mini ITX H610I-D4 motherboard with Intel Core I3 12100 CPU and 16 gb DDR4 ram at 3200 MHz My purpose of running Truenas is to run Plex and provide Samba shares for NAS

besides USB 2.0 sticks on 2.0 sockets I also burnt the ISO image onto a DVD with same result.

I then tried verbose setting with console mode and grabbed this screenshot of where it appears to halt. At line start_init: trying /sbin/init.

prior to that last line we see where it fails mounting with “error 2”.

any help would be appreciated

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can you get a plain FreeBSD 13 installer to boot?

MikeTrainer

Dabbler
IMG_1249.jpeg

Can you get a plain FreeBSD 13 installer to boot?
Yes. I put the installation image on the USB and booted and proceeded to install onto my ssd I think this install is successful vs TrueNAS?

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpeg
    IMG_3588.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 122

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess you're saying "more successful than TrueNAS" rather than finished successfully with that screenshot.

Are you sure you have followed the installer instructions for TrueNAS to create the boot drive?

MikeTrainer

Dabbler
I’m not sure what you mean. On freebsd I was able to install onto my ssd disk from usb and now i boot into FreeBSD at will and it asks me to log in Is there more to FreeBSD than that? I’m not familiar with the commands but I was able to get to the manual directory, what additional would you have me do to ensure it is running freeBSD properly?

I have downloaded multiple freeNAS and TrueNAS iso files and flashed with Balena etcher successfully in the past. I just tried an older 13.0 U truenas version with same results

MikeTrainer

Dabbler
well well. So I just tried FreeNAS 11.3 for laughs and giggles. It works! the installer works flawlessly. I used same exact process for burning the USB stick. Installed on my ssd . So something in TrueNAS build barfs at my core I3 12th gen and Asus mobo hw setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 107

sretalla