TrueNAS Core crashing - NVMe Issues

ibrennan

Dabbler
Can you run TrueNAS/FreeBSD on the newer hardware? That would eliminate hardware as the issue.
I agree, good point, it's going to be a pain to do so on that particular PC, but yes I'm going to try it now. It's a mini-itx machine so only has 1 free NVMe slot, maybe I can use an old sata disk for boot and test with 2 NVMe's. I'll let you know the results when I get it setup.

I appreciate all the suggestions and help, great community you have here.

ibrennan

Dabbler
Ok so I quickly built a new TrueNAS Core server on the same machine that worked with Windows and the new NVMe's I have. It's the same issue I have on my main TrueNAS server, slow performance. The dd test is almost identical, see below.

So I think it's safe to say this is some issue with FreeBSD. I'm going to try TrueNAS Scale since it's Debian, maybe will have different results.

Code:
root@truenas[/mnt/ssd1]#
root@truenas[/mnt/ssd1]#
root@truenas[/mnt/ssd1]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/ssd1/test/test1 bs=1M count=50000
50000+0 records in
50000+0 records out
52428800000 bytes transferred in 17.499167 secs (2996074087 bytes/sec)
root@truenas[/mnt/ssd1]#
root@truenas[/mnt/ssd1]# 

ibrennan

Dabbler
Ok so I just realized I was reading the dd results as "bits per second" and not bytes... duhhh... so really my local FreeBSD dd test is good performance at just under 3 GB/s. Time to take a step back, perhaps issue is Samba or other network. However, I can "write" via SMB at the link speed of the 10g NIC, it's only read performance over SMB that's an issue.

I just wanted to post my bit/byte dd mistake before someone else calls me out on it haha.