TrueNAS Core 13.0-U4 to U5 upgrade. Jellyfin plugin quit working not responding on the configured IP address.

pasha-19

Dabbler
I apparently need to understand the upgrade process with plugins better. There are two possible changes I entered back to back, First with the 13.0-u4 to 13.0-u5 upgrade completed successfully. Then I attempted to update the community Jellyfin plugin. The plugin update failed when it could not find module. Any suggestions on what to do next. Any info on doing this better the next time would be appreciated. Currently the Asigra backup plugin (IX Systems not community) is only partially installed on the way to full install.

I believe I can recreate the steps to reinstall Jellyfin from scratch, if required.

PS Jellyfin was running successfully under 13.0-u4 prior to the upgrade.

Don't use "Plugins". Create and manually manage your own jails.

pasha-19

Dabbler
Don't use "Plugins". Create and manually manage your own jails.
An interesting idea; however the maker of the plugin suggests building your own jail in this case is error prone. Do you know of a suggested manual install process that also explains how to update the configuration and how to coordinate the changes in Jellyfin changes to the changes in TrueNAS Core? My Question either way is how to know what and when to update core, jellyfin, asigra and which is the proper order for those updates. Would the asidra plugin be saver because IX Systems controls the updates with the releases of TrueNAS. Is it more the community apps (or plugins) I need to be concerned about?

Managing your own (Basejail) jail is akin to being the administrator of a FreeBSD server. However, the scope is very narrow in this case: Jellyfin

You'd create a new Basejail jail (selecting FreeBSD 13.2).

You'd enable the "allow_mlock" option in the Jail's configuration. (It's a checkbox.) This is needed for dotNET applications.

You'd add mountpoints for the jail to access datasets outside of its internal filesystem. (Multimedia, videos, pictures?)

Then you use the "pkg" system (within the jail) to install and update binary packages, such as the jellyfin package.

Only once will you need to enable the jellyfin service (so that it automatically starts when the jail starts).

You can occasionally use "pkg update" and "pkg upgrade" (within the jail) to keep the packages up-to-date in the jail.

You can occasionally use "iocage update jailname" (outside of the jail) to update the jail to the latest security patch level. (The GUI also has this button under the Jails page.)

Last edited: