TrueNAS AD integration - use UIDNumber instead of SID for AD users

scook2000

Cadet
Is it possible for TrueNAS to use the UIDNumber that's set in the advanced attributes of an AD user for recording and referencing file permissions instead of the AD users SID?
I've added our NAS, running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1, to our AD domain and created a test SMB share. When I write to this share using an AD user from a Windows 11 system, the owner file permissions are 100001104 - which I assume is the SID of my AD user. I need for them to be 3904, which is the UIDnumber.
Is this possible? I think the answer lies in Directory Services -> Active Directory -> Advanced Settings -> Edit IDmap -> Edit "Active Directory - Primary Domain" -> IDmap backend. The IDmap backend is currently set to RID, but I'm not sure how to change it in order to make it work like how I want.
Thanks,
StephenC

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is it possible for TrueNAS to use the UIDNumber that's set in the advanced attributes of an AD user for recording and referencing file permissions instead of the AD users SID?
I've added our NAS, running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1, to our AD domain and created a test SMB share. When I write to this share using an AD user from a Windows 11 system, the owner file permissions are 100001104 - which I assume is the SID of my AD user. I need for them to be 3904, which is the UIDnumber.
Is this possible? I think the answer lies in Directory Services -> Active Directory -> Advanced Settings -> Edit IDmap -> Edit "Active Directory - Primary Domain" -> IDmap backend. The IDmap backend is currently set to RID, but I'm not sure how to change it in order to make it work like how I want.
Thanks,
StephenC
Use the idmap_ad backend. https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/idmap_ad.8.html

scook2000

Cadet
Thanks. It works now.