TrueNAS 13.3 Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS 13.3 is scheduled for RC1 and Release in Q2 2024. Nightlies are currently available. Primary improvements are:
Samba 4.19​
FreeBSD 13.3 updates​
OpenZFS 2.2.2 (with fast file copy)​
Bhyve updates​
Sidegrades to Dragonfish are reliable (HA or not)​
Interoperability with Dragonfish (rsync, zfs send, etc) is well tested​
Use this thread to request any specific fixes/improvements. Even better, add any information if you know how to fix or are willing to contribute.

Prefer that bug tickets or suggestions are already in Jira. If you strongly agree with a suggestion, please like here or vote in Jira.

Please separate out each issue.. so that votes are more obvious for each issue. Let's try to get this done before Feb 24 and I'll create a summary.

If you have a chance to run the nightly on a system or in a VM... any direct feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dak180

Patron
Among many other improvements it brings NVMe self test support and better SAS drive support.

EDIT: breaking up into separate posts as directed.

Last edited:

Warning message for "unchecking" encryption does not revert if user selects "Cancel"​

When the user “unchecks” the box for encryption (when creating a new child dataset), they are greeted with a warning message that reads:
Warning
All data stored on this dataset will be decrypted and the dataset marked as non-encrypted. Do you want to continue?

However, if the user clicks “Cancel”, the checkbox will remain unselected.
:thumbsdown:

This is not the expected behavior, and is obviously a bug.

Clicking cancel should revert the change.

Please see the attached video.

Link to Jira ticket: https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-122461

Last edited:

dak180

Patron

dak180

Patron
Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
For others these links may be useful: All your watched issues and All issues you have voted on.

• NVME Namespaces NAS-122660
  • Add support for LOTS more ACME DNS authenticators NAS-115350
  • Add ZFS "normalization" and "utf8only" options when creating pools/datasets NAS-108622
  • Add GUI option to restore config from .system dataset backup NAS-105948
  • Expose temperature from mpr driver in GUI NAS-105550 Sample Code
If we do one issue at a time, we will get better voting. Any color on why its needed for you would be also useful

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any color on why its needed for you would be also useful
Surely this one is obvious, and this isn't the only ticket on the issue; I know I've raised one as well (though IIRC mine was closed as "fixed in SCALE" and only dealt with Cloudflare):
Add support for LOTS more ACME DNS authenticators NAS-115350
This one likewise seems obvious--you've been keeping daily config backups in the .system dataset since forever, but the UI has never done anything with them. And when a user loses a boot device and doesn't have a backup of the config file, the system should make it easy to recover: user imports the pool, TrueNAS notices a .system dataset there, and offers to import the latest config file. I can imagine further refinements, but that'd be a good first pass:
Add GUI option to restore config from .system dataset backup NAS-105948

csj

iXsystems
iXsystems
TrueNAS 13.1 scheduled for RC1 and Release in Q2 2024. Nightlies are currently available. Primary improvements are:
Samba 4.19​
FreeBSD 13.3 updates​
OpenZFS 2.2.2 (with fast file copy)​
Bhyve updates​
Sidegrades to Dragonfish are reliable (HA or not)​
Interoperability with Dragonfish (rsync, zfs send, etc) is well tested​
Use this thread to request any specific fixes/improvements. Even better, add any information if you know how to fix or are willing to contribute.

Prefer that bug tickets or suggestions are already in Jira. If you strongly agree with a suggestion, please like here or vote in Jira.

Please separate out each issue.. so that votes are more obvious for each issue. Let's try to get this done before Feb 24 and I'll create a summary.

If you have a chance to run the nightly on a system or in a VM... any direct feedback would be appreciated.
Sidegrades to Dragonfish on HA are NOT supportable and haven't been since the beginning of SCALE HA. MIght be best to update your post to not cause unnecessary confusion or at least define what "sidegrading" means in context of an HA system.

EDIT: If "sidegrade" means fresh install and upload the CORE database to the freshly installed SCALE HA system, then that is supported.

Last edited:

dak180

Patron
  • Enable Samba to process ElasticSearch API response NAS-118522
Makes it so search on SMB shares actually works (for macs).

dak180

Patron
  • Compatibility feature set files should be present on CORE NAS-127305
In addition making sure people do not shoot themselves in the foot by upgrading the boot pool into a bad place, it also means that one can ensure pool compatibility with other systems.

dak180

Patron
I use Cloudflare but there are many others.

Surely this one is obvious, and this isn't the only ticket on the issue; I know I've raised one as well (though IIRC mine was closed as "fixed in SCALE" and only dealt with Cloudflare):

dak180

Patron
Last edited:

dak180

Patron
  • Add GUI option to restore config from .system dataset backup NAS-105948
This one likewise seems obvious--you've been keeping daily config backups in the .system dataset since forever, but the UI has never done anything with them. And when a user loses a boot device and doesn't have a backup of the config file, the system should make it easy to recover: user imports the pool, TrueNAS notices a .system dataset there, and offers to import the latest config file. I can imagine further refinements, but that'd be a good first pass.

dak180

Patron
Can solve some instances of system instability and potential data loss from over heating HBA.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I use Cloudflare but there are many others.
Each one requires work and testing, so we would prefer the must-have list. Which one do each of you specifically need?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Each one requires work and testing, so we would prefer the must-have list. Which one do each of you specifically need?
I'm not @dak180, but I'd put Cloudflare at the top of the list (as apparently you folks did as well, it's one of only two others (in addition to Route53) that you've as yet put into SCALE). It's one of the most popular DNS hosts at least in the SOHO/SMB environment, which is no surprise since their DNS service is free and they have a robust API. If you're going to be getting a cert using DNS validation, Cloudflare is probably the most widely-recommended DNS host for that purpose.

And you've already done the work and testing to integrate it, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.