Next Version of TrueNAS CORE

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The next version of CORE will be based on FreeBSD 13.3 and will be released in Q2 of 2024.

We're in the final stages of deciding what's in it. The community has been contributing to this wishlist via this thread: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-13-1-wishlist.116359/#post-807219

Please read the whole thread and like the requests that are significant to you deployments. If you have specific additional requests, please make sure there is a NAS-Ticket and then write up your request and add to the thread.

Major new improvements are:
  • Samba 4.19
  • FreeBSD 13.3 updates
  • OpenZFS 2.2.2 (with fast file copy)
  • Bhyve updates
  • Sidegrades to Dragonfish are reliable (HA or not)
  • Interoperability with Dragonfish (rsync, zfs send, etc) is well tested
We may change the name from 13.1 to 13.3 for improved clarity. Any objections?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think FreeNAS or TrueNAS ever really tracked FreeBSD point releases super closely. My OCD is going to suffer either way, but maybe 13.2 is less confusing? Though, who's going to come asking "what happened to 13.2"?

Etorix

Wizard
Thumbs up to aligninig CORE numbering with the FreeBSD version it's based on.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Psssst. If we can get them to name the next release TrueNAS Core 14.0, they'll have no choice but to base it on FreeBSD 14.0.
I will stop any attempt to do a .0. We never had an update to a major FreeBSD .0 go smoothly. We learned our lessons a many years back and wait for .1 at the absolute soonest :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Psssst. If we can get them to name the next release TrueNAS Core 14.0, they'll have no choice but to base it on FreeBSD 14.0.
I'll point out that playing rules lawyer is against the forum rules. Good try though, at least it was for a good cause.

Etorix

Wizard
I will stop any attempt to do a .0. We never had an update to a major FreeBSD .0 go smoothly. We learned our lessons a many years back and wait for .1 at the absolute soonest :)
BREAKING NEWS: @Kris Moore says there will be a TrueNAS CORE 14.1. :wink:
I hope that bad faith and wishful thinking aren't againt forum rules…It was all for a good cause, Your Honour.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Rules lawyering? That's a paddlin'.
Bad faith interpretations? That's a paddlin'.
Poking the mods? Oh you better believe that's a paddlin'.

What is the deadline to add something to this wishlist? (I have a couple more obvious GUI bugs that I have yet to demonstrate.)

Most don't apply to SCALE, since SCALE got a GUI uplift rehaul.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
None at all and pleasantly surprised it's finally getting traction.

A more general wish that has been expressed by others already for specific packages, but to sum it up: please bring all non-critical 3rd packages like smartmontools, NUT, collectd, ... to their latest stable upstream (project or FreeBSD) releases. Collectd on CORE suffers from hanging on shutdown when the target time series DB is not reachable, smartmontools is behind current drives, NUT as today is years behind upstream and a pain for everyone using an otherwise perfectly fine Cyberpower device ...

Stuff like that. Just don't ship outdated software, please.

I trust your judgement better than mine as far as core building blocks of TrueNAS like Samba are concerned. No complaints - you do what you did well all those past years.

Still, just enabling Elastic integration would be fantastic. No UI support, no official new feature, just compile Samba with it. We will figure out a jail based working setup.

That's my 2 ct. or rather USD ;-)

Kind regards,
Patrick

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't think FreeNAS or TrueNAS ever really tracked FreeBSD point releases super closely. My OCD is going to suffer either way, but maybe 13.2 is less confusing? Though, who's going to come asking "what happened to 13.2"?

Historically we did not. Now we do so more for reliability reasons.... we try to avoid major OS updates that break things.

13.1 is abnormally confusing since TrueNAS 13.0 is based on FreeBSD 13.1 and TrueNAS 13.1 is based on FreeBSD 13.3........ its true/Free cognitive dissonance. Unless there are objections, I'll try to reduce the mental stress of all involved.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
What is the deadline to add something to this wishlist? (I have a couple more obvious GUI bugs that I have yet to demonstrate.)

Most don't apply to SCALE, since SCALE got a GUI uplift rehaul.

In the post I said:

Let's try to get this done before Feb 24 and I'll create a summary.
Then we'll review to see what is possible.

Obviously bugfix requests can be submitted at anytime. However, as a release gets more mature we tend to prioritize stability over new features and won't fix non-critical bugs with major chunks of software.

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
None at all and pleasantly surprised it's finally getting traction.

A more general wish that has been expressed by others already for specific packages, but to sum it up: please bring all non-critical 3rd packages like smartmontools, NUT, collectd, ... to their latest stable upstream (project or FreeBSD) releases. Collectd on CORE suffers from hanging on shutdown when the target time series DB is not reachable, smartmontools is behind current drives, NUT as today is years behind upstream and a pain for everyone using an otherwise perfectly fine Cyberpower device ...

Stuff like that. Just don't ship outdated software, please.

I trust your judgement better than mine as far as core building blocks of TrueNAS like Samba are concerned. No complaints - you do what you did well all those past years.

Still, just enabling Elastic integration would be fantastic. No UI support, no official new feature, just compile Samba with it. We will figure out a jail based working setup.
Thanks, Add your votes via the wishlist post..... https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-13-1-wishlist.116359/#post-807526

This thread is just the announcement of the wishlist.. so that people can find it.

Apollo

Wizard
Historically we did not. Now we do so more for reliability reasons.... we try to avoid major OS updates that break things.

13.1 is abnormally confusing since TrueNAS 13.0 is based on FreeBSD 13.1 and TrueNAS 13.1 is based on FreeBSD 13.3........ its true/Free cognitive dissonance. Unless there are objections, I'll try to reduce the mental stress of all involved.
You could name it TrueNAS 13.3_Not-to-SCALE.
Pun intended.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
13.0 --> 13.1 --> 13.2 --> 13.3 are not major updates but minor ones and mandatory maintenance, IMHO.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
13.0 --> 13.1 --> 13.2 --> 13.3 are not major updates but minor ones and mandatory maintenance, IMHO.
There's a well known joke in Silicon Valley

Q: How did God create the world in only 7 days?

A:: He didn't have an installed base

What is a minor update for some, requires us to do exhaustive testing to minimize risk for existing customers.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What is a minor update for some, requires us to do exhaustive testing to minimize risk for existing customers.
But there are no ABI changes within one freebsd-stable train. These are maintenance releases. Why are you maintaining local modifications at all instead of deploying on a stock FreeBSD release?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have to echo those voices which suggested to update the third party apps, besides just the OS.
Looking forward to it's release.

victort

Guru
I have to echo those voices which suggested to update the third party apps, besides just the OS.
Looking forward to it's release.
Same. Along with Cloudflare.