TrueNAS 13.3 CORE Community Contributions

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Just picking up on where this thread left off.

As of right now we have roughly 6 weeks left until we hit code freeze for 13.3. (4/18). We're still working hard to stabilize the nightly images fully. The OS & ports tree updates in particular this time around have been a major PITA to bring in fully, its causing us to spend a lot more time on stabilizing basic functionality than usual.

In the meantime, I know from some previous threads that there's been some asks about a couple of features being back-ported into the release and I wanted to extend the offer to our aspiring community developers. The window is still open if anybody does want to take on the mantle of trying to back-port a specific functionality into the release. We'll review any incoming PRs and consider them for merging if they don't cause breakage to other parts of the stack, same as we would for SCALE as well.

Source Repos:
https://github.com/truenas/

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Just picking up on where this thread left off.

As of right now we have roughly 6 weeks left until we hit code freeze for 13.3. (4/18). We're still working hard to stabilize the nightly images fully. The OS & ports tree updates in particular this time around have been a major PITA to bring in fully, its causing us to spend a lot more time on stabilizing basic functionality than usual.

In the meantime, I know from some previous threads that there's been some asks about a couple of features being back-ported into the release and I wanted to extend the offer to our aspiring community developers. The window is still open if anybody does want to take on the mantle of trying to back-port a specific functionality into the release. We'll review any incoming PRs and consider them for merging if they don't cause breakage to other parts of the stack, same as we would for SCALE as well.

Source Repos:
https://github.com/truenas/
Hi Kris!

Are there instructions on, for example, how to build TrueNAS, say in a VM, so that we can test things on our own at least to a degree before we submit PR's?

Thank you,

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Yep! It does take a pretty beefy system to build CORE, since its from source. SCALE in a much lighter VM. Here's the info for both:

CORE Build:

SCALE Build:

Can I post a video in here that demonstrates an unnerving bug in the GUI when it comes to snapshot management? (I don't believe it affects SCALE, since SCALE got a GUI rehaul.)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@Kris Moore Can one run the CORE build process inside a jail?

But if it's a bad bug we'd prefer a ticket to see if it can be addressed :)
It was implied, though not specific. I just prefer the format and "openness" of the forum, since other users (without Jira accounts) can easily view it, test it, and chime in with feedback if they catch something I missed.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Yep! It does take a pretty beefy system to build CORE, since its from source. SCALE in a much lighter VM. Here's the info for both:

CORE Build:

SCALE Build:
Awesome, thank you!

Any guidelines on what a functional VM would look like to build CORE? How much RAM? Disk space? CPU horsepower?

Thank you,

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Any guidelines on what a functional VM would look like to build CORE? How much RAM? Disk space? CPU horsepower?
Just click on the link ...
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-14 um 22.03.30.png

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor

Apollo

Wizard
Out of curiosity I am going through the process of compiling TrueNAS, and as such I am using the "FreeBSD-13.3-RELEASE-amd64.vhd" VM under VirtualBox.
Going through the command:
make checkout
It fails with:
Cloning into 'ports'...
fatal: Remote branch truenas/13.3-stable not found in upstream origin
[...] ==> Failed command: git clone -b truenas/13.3-stable https://github.com/freenas/ports.git ports

Apollo

Wizard

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Its in a broken state right now, once @anodos fixes the ports breakage (thanks upstream!) then we can get it compiling again :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Its in a broken state right now, once @anodos fixes the ports breakage (thanks upstream!) then we can get it compiling again :)
Been there when we were compiling FreeNAS 8.x and 9.x back in the day. The ports can really bite you in the rear. I was compiling so much that I had my own local ports server running in a VM. It made rebuilding so much faster. The good old days.

As of right now we have roughly 6 weeks left until we hit code freeze for 13.3. (4/18).
Will we then see OpenZFS 2.2.3, since it's been released upstream almost a month ago?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Been there when we were compiling FreeNAS 8.x and 9.x back in the day. The ports can really bite you in the rear. I was compiling so much that I had my own local ports server running in a VM. It made rebuilding so much faster. The good old days.
So much time spend babysitting poudriere in my career ;)