TrueNAS 12 4kn disks

Fred.

Cadet
Hi,

I'm new to TrueNAS and I have some WD drives that should be capable to convert to 4k sectors.
I want to do the right thing to get the best performance and avoid emulation.
This is what I see with smartctl.
From what I understand it's seeing the drive as 4k but is using 512k sectors on it? That's not good then? For best performance that should be the same?
There is no data on the disks / pool so I can still convert things. Just not sure how.
Does that look good or bad to you?

Code:
smartctl -i /dev/da22                     
smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [FreeBSD 12.2-RC3 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               WDC
Product:              WUH721818AL5204
Revision:             C120
Compliance:           SPC-5
User Capacity:        18,000,207,937,536 bytes [18.0 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Physical block size:  4096 bytes

Code:
zdb -U /data/zfs/zpool.cache | grep ashift
            ashift: 12

Fred.

AlexGG

Contributor
From what I understand it's seeing the drive as 4k but is using 512k sectors on it? That's not good then? For best performance that should be the same?

There will be no practically noticeable difference in performance as long as your writes are multiples of 4096 bytes in size and properly aligned. Your pool seems to satisfy both criteria, so it should be fine.

Last edited:

Fred.

Cadet
Thanks for your answer Alex.
So this is optimal and you would not change it?

I would like to test the diffenence with my workload.
Do you know if it's easy to change?

AlexGG

Contributor
I don't think it is reasonably possible to change the 512-byte logical block size on the drive, although I may be mistaken.
You can change your pool block size by setting ashift to 9, which gives you 512 bytes per allocation unit on the pool, by destroying and recreating the pool. On the drive, though, I don't think it is possible.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
FreeBSD and FreeNAS have a default ashift of 12 for some time now. Precisely for the proliferation of 4k disks. The disk presenting a logical block size of 512 for backwards compatibility is normal.

diskdiddler

Wizard
FreeBSD and FreeNAS have a default ashift of 12 for some time now. Precisely for the proliferation of 4k disks. The disk presenting a logical block size of 512 for backwards compatibility is normal.
Patrick I trust your opinion, what do you think about this?

Should people bother or not bother flipping to 4k? What's the implications?
One fella reporting 2 dead drives due to it, others reporting the Exos has issues with idle power states?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
My statement was of course of a general nature. I cannot say anything about that particular drive model and the effects of running it with 512e or native 4k, sorry. I'd check with the manufacturer.