TrueNAS Core 12.0-U1 boot issue

BernardB

Cadet
Hi Community!

I have an issue with the boot loader after upgrading from 12.0 to TrueNAS-12.0-U1 (401ffb1d98).

HW infos:
* Xeon-D-1521
* 16G RAM
* HGST HUH721008ALE601 LHGNX38Q (7200K SATA disk - 4K Sectors with 512B Sector emulation)
* SHA256 (BOOTx64.efi) = 15c02388c2e88496506ad4182c90dd111a4b54953006f70a3ea5436d1c8c46ea

Unluckily, I have not noted down the exact error message.
The EFI boot loader successfully finds the pool (freenas-boot) but fails when trying to read from it.

I have sent and received the boot pool as an attempt to clean it and have managed (admittedly more by accident) to change the sector size from 4K to 512K. Now the system is booting again. The system is operational with reduced performance on the boot pool currently.

zpool status also warns me about it: "One or more devices are configured to use a non-native block size. Expect reduced performance."

I can reproduce the issue so I will try to get the exact error message tomorrow. Also I have another identical machine to upgrade.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Yorick

Wizard
Could you elaborate? The HGST SATA disk is your boot disk, and something else is your pool? This is bare metal, not VM? Give us a bit more info on how you're booting, please.

BernardB

Cadet
Yes sure it is bare metal.
* There are 6 disks (identical model)
* I have a 16G partition for the boot pool (freenas-boot) on the first 2 drives (zfs mirror)
* The boot code on the efi partition (bootx64.efi) didn't change from 12.0 to 12.0-U1
* openzfs pkg changed from openzfs-2020100200 to openzfs-2020120100

Feature flags before upgrade:
feature@livelist enabled local
feature@project_quota enabled local

Feature flags after upgrade:
feature@livelist active local
feature@project_quota active local

I have tried multiple disks for booting by moving the partition via dd with the same result for each.
I have other systems booting off NVMe (native 512B sectors) without any issue after the upgrade.

The boot loader fails with the following messages:
ZFS found the following pools: freenas-boot
UFS found no partitions
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read object set for dataset 755
ZFS: can't open root filesystem

The main reason I post here is to make sure there is not a general issue with 4K disks emulating 512B sectors.
If there are other users booting such disks, it is probably not worth to further track down the issue - as the HW will be replaced at some point anyway.

Yorick

Wizard
* I have a 16G partition for the boot pool (freenas-boot) on the first 2 drives (zfs mirror)

I got nothing smart to say, I've never gone and fiddled with partitions to boot from a data disk. Always only had a small dedicated boot drive.