TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 - Ixnas options - home quotas

koro

Cadet
Good morning

We've started using Truenas, and we are planning to have homes for each user, with quotas

We've seen there's a way to do it https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/configuration-options-for-ixnas.75835/#post-568846 but in the SMB Share we don't see the
VFS_Object property to be able to add ixnas and then add ixnas:homedir_quota = 1Gb as Auxiliary Parameters

In this version the "Auxiliary Parameters" property is available, but not the VFS_Object

Do you know something about it in this version? Maybe it's not working anymore? Or is there something that we must enable so that VFS_Object property is available in the SMB Share?

How would we be able to get home quotas working in this version?

Thank you very much and have a great day

koro

Cadet
If I do testparm -s I see that the vfs objects ixnas is there . So I suppose in this version is included by default..
But, even If I put as params:
ixnas:zfs_quota_enabled = True
ixnas:base_user_quota = 1G

The quota thing is not working..
Are we missing something?

[homes]
ea support = No
kernel share modes = No
path = /mnt/Pool/home/%D/%U
posix locking = No
read only = No
vfs objects = streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs ixnas aio_fbsd
ixnas:zfs_quota_enabled = True
ixnas:base_user_quota = 1G
nfs4:chown = true

By the way, we see that the smb4.conf file that's being used is in
/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf , but in that file it's not the shares information. Where's it ?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Try setting user quotas on the home dataset. Under the Storage->Pools menu, select the home dataset and pick User Quotas from the Dataset Actions menu out on the righthand side. This should let you specify a quota for each user.

koro

Cadet
Thank you for the answer
We already tryed it, but it does not let you allow to select all the AD users that may have a home directory here. In the selection list, "SElect Usere cached by this system", the uses that appear are local users. In Search for Connected users, you have to go selecting them one by one..
We are thinking on making an script that executes every X min , and for every directory (user) in the home dataset does this

zfs set userquota@SAREA\\user=1G Pool/home

And then if some of them have specific quotas, at the end of the scripts give them the specific ones..

Maybe it's easier and can be done in the GUI?

Thank you very much and enjoy the day

1621575698681.png

victoriafz

Cadet
Try setting user quotas on the home dataset. Under the Storage->Pools menu, select the home dataset and pick User Quotas from the Dataset Actions menu out on the righthand side. This should let you specify a quota for each user.
Hi
I have a Q about setting user quota. I have created a Dataset on TrueNAS core 13.0 and named it as "File Server". Then I shared it through Windows Share(SMB). After that I created a number of folders in this Dataset through windows for the domain users in the network, but when I try to set user quotas in TrueNas configuration, I cannot see the domain users' name in TrueNAS unless each user opens the shared directory "File Server" . Is there any way to see domain users in User Quotas page in TrueNas without open the shared directory by each users?

tomepark

Cadet
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this is related so apologies if not.

I have created a pool for User Homes on TrueNAS and then setup a Quota for the users. However when I map a drive via Windows the user can see the full space free on the pool.

The other thing I have noticed is that the share shows up twice, one being the sharename Homes and then the second the username of the user. Is this correct or have I configured something wrong here?

I'm happy to post this as a new thread if this is not related.

Regards,
Tom