Trouble with configuring network settings

DenisInternet

Dabbler
Hello folks,

I am having trouble getting a connection and accessing the TrueNAS Scale UI via my 25Gb SFP28 connections. It looks like it sees the NIC but I am not sure, I am watching/reading guides to settings this all up correctly.

*UPDATE* Ended up being two things that were causing the issue.
1) I needed to create a separate bridge for my router connections and a second bridge for my LAN 25Gb SFP28 connections on my Microtik switch using Winbox.
2) On Winbox interfaces I needed to make sure I was hardware offloading the SFP28 connections on my switch.

Hopefully this helps anyone else struggling with setting up their Network Config :)

CPU: AMD EPYC 7302p+
Motherboard: Supermicro H12SSL-i
Switch: MikroTik CRS504-4XQ-IN
NIC 1: Supermicro AOC-S25G-B2S Rev 1.01 25GbE 2-Port PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter (in NAS box)
NIC 2: Sonnet Twin25G Dual 25G SFP28 to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter (Connected to a Mac Studio)

Thank you for your time and guidance.

*updated post, *updated post again.

Last edited:

NickF

Guru
When using a breakout cable, you have to ensure that the NIC you are using supports it. Even if it does, you may have to re-configure it in a specific mode to do so. Then there is no guarantee that the switch upstream will even accept it, so there may be a compatibility issue on BOTH ends.

As a general rule, breakout cables are a bad design and you should probably consider using 40 gigabit QSFP BiDis instead.

DenisInternet

Dabbler
When using a breakout cable, you have to ensure that the NIC you are using supports it. Even if it does, you may have to re-configure it in a specific mode to do so. Then there is no guarantee that the switch upstream will even accept it, so there may be a compatibility issue on BOTH ends.

As a general rule, breakout cables are a bad design and you should probably consider using 40 gigabit QSFP BiDis instead.
Alright, will look at the configuration more carefully. I do know both NICs, Switch and cables are compatible, as I doubled checked with the manufactures and their white list too, before purchasing.
Will check my Microtik switch settings.

Thanks!