Transmission Not Downloading

NasKar

Guru
I've had transmission in a jail work but have not used it in a while. After Sonarr transfer to request to transmission I get downloading from 0 of 0 peers and the download never starts. Under network settings it says my listening port is closed. My firewall is PFSense and I have a port foward for the transmission port to forward to the FN transmission jail. I using openvpn in the jail and it's showing an I other than my WAN when I issue curl ident.me

Not sure where the problem is.
1) where do I find the log files for transmission in the jail?
2) Is this an issue with my port forwarding on my pfsense router?

Are you working over VPN?

NasKar

Guru
Yes I have a client VPN from my router and one in the jail. So I turned off the one on the router so there is just one. Thought that fixed it but tried again to get an episode with Sonarr and in Transmission it shows downloading from 0 of 0 peers.
BTW I'm on transmission-cli-3.00_4 on FreeNas 11.3U5

Any idea where the log files are?

Ok so since transmission is working over VPN, technically *all ports should be open. Opening ports on your router will likely have no effect. Make sure you have internet in that jail with the VPN active.

NasKar

Guru
Openvpn is running in the jail and I can ping www.google.com.
I found these entries in the /var/log/messages file.
Code:
Apr  1 19:31:24 transmission transmission-daemon[40111]: linuxmint-19.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso Tracker error: "Tracker gave HTTP response code 502 (Bad Gateway)" (/wrkdirs/usr/ports/net-p2p/transmission-daemon/work/transmission-3.00/libtransmission/torrent.c:623)
Apr  1 19:38:14 transmission syslogd: last message repeated 1 times
Apr  1 19:53:33 transmission transmission-daemon[40111]: linuxmint-19.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso Tracker error: "Tracker gave HTTP response code 403 (Forbidden)" (/wrkdirs/usr/ports/net-p2p/transmission-daemon/work/transmission-3.00/libtransmission/torrent.c:623)

Something isn't meshing then, based on those errors I'd say that the jail can't communicate with the tracker. Bad gateways, forbidden and such. Strange paths too, like it's working out of /workdir. I feel like transmission works out of /usr/local/etc/transmission

Does the directory /workdirs in the transmission jail exist? I don't recall seeing this ever?? Idk

NasKar

Guru
The directory /workdirs does not exist
Code:
root@transmission:~ # cd /workdirs
/workdirs: No such file or directory.
root@transmission:~ # cd /usr/local/etc/transmission/
root@transmission:/usr/local/etc/transmission # ls -l
total 1
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  2 Aug 20  2020 home
root@transmission:/usr/local/etc/transmission # cd home/
root@transmission:/usr/local/etc/transmission/home # ls -l
total 0
root@transmission:/usr/local/etc/transmission/home #

My bad it was actually /wrkdirs

As far as being able to ping google, I'm curious are those pings going out over lan or over the tun adapter? The way I always tested this with killswitches (if applicable) and such working. Install py-speedtest-cli in the transmission jail and run speedtest-cli and see what it reports your ip and connection speeds. It should be different than your normal wan ip. Also verify in ifconfig

The other thing I notice is your transmission directory is owned root:wheel this might be correct but I'd make sure. Transmission likes to run as its own user by default. Strange the /usr/local/etc/transmission/home has no files in it also. This is where it likes to save files too. This could be a problem.

NasKar

Guru
My bad it was actually /wrkdirs
That doesn't exist either.

The other thing I notice is your transmission directory is owned root:wheel this might be correct but I'd make sure. Transmission likes to run as its own user by default. Strange the /usr/local/etc/transmission/home has no files in it also. This is where it likes to save files too. This could be a problem.
I have my install of transmission changed to the user:group media:media to be compatible with my other apps. In the past this worked flawlessly including transmission. Don't know what changed.

NasKar

Guru
The way I always tested this with killswitches (if applicable) and such working. Install py-speedtest-cli in the transmission jail and run speedtest-cli and see what it reports your ip and connection speeds. It should be different than your normal wan ip. Also verify in ifconfig
Code:
root@transmission:/ # speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Eweka Internet Services B.V. (x.x.x.x IP of VPN)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Jonaz B.V. (Amersfoort) [20.15 km]: 423.378 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 1.27 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 0.47 Mbit/s

Crappy speeds <G> With openvpn turned off the speeds are much higher as expected.

drinking12many

Contributor

NasKar

Guru
NP I used to try and try to get that port "open" yet it always still downloaded...