Transfer Windows mirror to volume and add disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
Hello everyone, I am new to freenas, just built a rig and I am really excited to get started with Freenas. I have been reading about Freenas for months now as it is very over whelming.
My issue is that I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer my media that is currently occupying 2.4 TB in a Windows raid 1 (mirror) with 2- 3Tb WD reds. I purchased 3 more 3TB WD reds. I am looking for the easiest solution to be able to transfer all my data to freenas and add the 2 existing 3Tb drives to create a 5 disk Raidz2. The only solution i can think of is to transfer the 2.4Tb of current data to another disk, wipe the 2 current 3Tb reds, Then create a 5 disk volume, then transfer the data to the volume. I am looking for a way to not use the extra drive due to possible loosing everything if something happened during transfer. Thank you in advance

joeschmuck

Old Man
There is no magic way to make this transfer. You will have to transfer all your data to other media first but you already knew this. Any important data should be backed up to a second location anyway so I like to use DVD's.

itchiTrigger

Dabbler
Ok Joe,
Thank you for verifying my thoughts. I think I'm going to get an external hard drive because i haven't had a disc burner in years. Thank you for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.