tp-link tx201 2.5gb network card possible?

pbrink21

Cadet
Hey all,
So, I pulled a bit of a novice move and bought a network card without checking for compatibility / recommendations. I got a TP-Link tx201, upgrading because we're having some spotty connection issues with the port on the motherboard (connection will drop briefly occasionally, only really noticeable when you're editing something like a word document). However this card isn't just plug-and-play, and the provided drivers are only for windows and linux (not bsd). I've looked at some other forum posts and it seems like it's theorhetically possible to get working, but quite a chore and potentially unstable and editing / doing things I don't totally understand. So, I'm just wondering if someone has gotten this card to work, or knows of a generic driver that's easy to install and would work, or to tell me I'm stupid and recommend a better one that I should've bought lol

Thanks!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello @pbrink21

I'm a little confused - you've posted in the TrueNAS SCALE forums (and SCALE is based on Linux) but you're asking questions related to driver support in FreeBSD (which TrueNAS CORE uses) - which version have you installed/are planning to install?

The TP-Link TX201 does use a RealTek RTL8125 chipset, and RealTek has a "less than stellar reputation for stability and performance" among the TrueNAS user base as well. It can be used (with the addition of a specific tunable to load the driver on CORE) but we'd recommend a different solution (likely based on an Intel chipset) if you're looking to correct some connection issues.

Is 1Gbps sufficient, or do you need a >1Gbps solution? There aren't a lot of options for the multi-gig (2.5Gbps/5Gbps) cards right now, and all seem to have some various drawbacks (RealTek having poor drivers, Intel i225/i226 having odd lockups/disappearing off the bus) so users often jump straight to 10Gbps.

pbrink21

Cadet
Hello @pbrink21

I'm a little confused - you've posted in the TrueNAS SCALE forums (and SCALE is based on Linux) but you're asking questions related to driver support in FreeBSD (which TrueNAS CORE uses) - which version have you installed/are planning to install?

The TP-Link TX201 does use a RealTek RTL8125 chipset, and RealTek has a "less than stellar reputation for stability and performance" among the TrueNAS user base as well. It can be used (with the addition of a specific tunable to load the driver on CORE) but we'd recommend a different solution (likely based on an Intel chipset) if you're looking to correct some connection issues.

Is 1Gbps sufficient, or do you need a >1Gbps solution? There aren't a lot of options for the multi-gig (2.5Gbps/5Gbps) cards right now, and all seem to have some various drawbacks (RealTek having poor drivers, Intel i225/i226 having odd lockups/disappearing off the bus) so users often jump straight to 10Gbps.
Ahhh crap, apologies - I meant to post this on the TrueNAS Core part of the forum.

1gbps would be totally fine, I just already have this one so was hoping to be able to use it

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Ahhh crap, apologies - I meant to post this on the TrueNAS Core part of the forum.

FTFY. :smile:

1gbps would be totally fine, I just already have this one so was hoping to be able to use it

You're better off picking up an Intel card - although, watch for counterfeits. A used card pulled from a datacenter refurbisher (or yank one from a server or workstation yourself!) is your best bet. Newer cards like the i350 and i340 will have lower power consumption vs. the older PRO/1000 PT series, but a higher price as well.

Feel free to make an introductory post with your system specifications as well - and welcome to the forums!

pbrink21

Cadet
FTFY. :smile:

You're better off picking up an Intel card - although, watch for counterfeits. A used card pulled from a datacenter refurbisher (or yank one from a server or workstation yourself!) is your best bet. Newer cards like the i350 and i340 will have lower power consumption vs. the older PRO/1000 PT series, but a higher price as well.

Feel free to make an introductory post with your system specifications as well - and welcome to the forums!
I'll take a look at that, thanks!
Will do :)