Link aggregation with multi-port nic possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louisk

Patron

freenasrast

Dabbler

louisk

Patron
OK. So in theory, the switch will work (I've never tried it with this kind of switch, hence the choice of words).
You understand how LACP works?

freenasrast

Dabbler
OK. So in theory, the switch will work (I've never tried it with this kind of switch, hence the choice of words).
You understand how LACP works?

Only to the point of my needs which is I want to "merge" two 1G interfaces to give me 2G. So I have to set up two ports on the switch via it's management interface, and then via freenas set up the two interfaces on the freenas box and connect the freenas box to the two configured ports on the switch.

I am going to use this howto http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...h-GUI&highlight=link+aggregation+problems+gui AND https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hep4YvFCC9c

But my real question is if I need two physical nics or can I use a dual port nic in the place of two physical nics a.k.a does this one physical nic represent two distinct nics that I can use, as if it is it will save me an extra card.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You won't get 2Gb/sec to any one machine by teaming 2 NICs or using a dual port. If you aren't happy with 1Gb/sec then you will need to buy 10Gb hardware. We keep telling people this...

I have a well written presentation that explains all of this but I'm fearful of putting it out in the wild with the forums in their current condition. I don't want 1000 questions popping up every day regarding my presentation and wanting more details because someone is sure they can figure out how to get 2Gb/sec. You can't. Accept it. There's a reason why its sold as enterprise class features and not home video editors(they are the most frequent group of people wanting more than 1Gb/sec).

cheezehead

Dabbler
2x1GB LACP setup is basically as follows
- Highly available, clients with active connections shouldn't notice you pulling a link while moving data across.
- The Many(Clients)-to-One(FreeNAS) are less affected by individual clients pushing large amounts of data back and forth

The only two ways to get more than 1GB of bandwidth out of multiple 1GB adapters is via MPIO which only works for certain configurations, but it will not give you a true 1GB+1GB=2GB scenario. In reality I've seen often 1GB+1GB+1GB+1GB is approx 2.5GB. If you need more pipe just simply move to 10GB Ethernet or FC depending on your client usage scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.