Toshiba 18TB SATA (MG09) drive compatibility with LSI HBAs

tannisroot

Dabbler
Hi, I'm currently looking at getting an LSI HBA, in particular the LSI 9207-8i/9217-8i cards, to connect an array of Toshiba 18 TB Enterprise Capacity drives (MG09ACA18TE, SATA variant).
However, I've come across some product reviews claiming that this line of drives (the MG09) have poor compatibility with old LSI HBAs running in IT mode and don't work with them for whatever reason. But, at the same time I've found that LSI HBAs in general have poor compatibility with 4k sector drives, and that there are varieties of the MG09 series that use that sector format.
So now am I a bit confused and ask those with experience or setups that utilize both that model of a drive and an LSI HBA - is the sata variant with 512 sector format (MG09ACA18TE) actually imcompatible with LSI HBAs, or only just the 4k sector ones?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
However, I've come across some product reviews claiming that this line of drives (the MG09) have poor compatibility with old LSI HBAs running in IT mode and don't work with them for whatever reason.
Source?

NugentS

MVP