To update or not to update.. that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

Patron
I recently updated my freenas thru GUI. My hardware specs are given below and I didn't try anything except "check for upgdate" and "apply pending update". Moments later I am not sure what went wrong but the system never rebooted into freenas. When I switched on the monitor there was a whole log of errors (Sorry didn't copy the code) and then when I tried rebooting it said no os found on ADA0 (which is one of the pool discs). I later downloaded and installed a fresh copy through USB. Now everything seems to be back up and all my pools are alive. I love freenas for that. Now I am constantly receiving the update notification on my email. I am not very sure if I want to update. I do have the setup usb so yes to install the plugins and re setup the system will be less painful but still time consuming.
Is there a way to install a mirror OS on another usb on the same computer? to work kinda like a mirror to avoid losing my head and some time in trying to get everything back in order? Sorry if I am asking silly questions but I am not very confident about my skills in understanding and exploiting freenas. I would rather swim in shallow waters than drown trying to go into the deep..
thank you for your replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you backup your configuration file? You should start by doing that. Also the reason it didn't bit of because your motherboard bios is configured to boot from the hdd not your USB. So switch that to be USB first in the boot order. Finally yes you can configure a mirrored boot USB, just follow the steps in the freenas docs.

Bhoot

Patron
Did you backup your configuration file? You should start by doing that. Also the reason it didn't bit of because your motherboard bios is configured to boot from the hdd not your USB. So switch that to be USB first in the boot order. Finally yes you can configure a mirrored boot USB, just follow the steps in the freenas docs.
ty for the quick reply. I see you are still on 9.2.1. Is it very and absolutely neccessary to get onto the latest firmware? I am using Plex Transmission Sickrage and couchpotato on my server and its used as a home media server. What if I dont update it for (say) a few months at a time will it hamper my requirements?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If it's not broke don't fix it.

I have 2 servers, one is on most recent release and the other is in 9.2.1.9 because I don't have time to test that configuration on the 9.3 release. Before I upgrade my main box I verify the update works and gives me expected results in a test environment. I think most people should be on 9.3 at this time though, 9.2 is getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.