To FreeNAS or not to FreeNAS...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumoX

Cadet
Hi All,

To FreeNAS or not to FreeNAS...?

I was all set to drop 1400 euros on hardware for my new FreeNAS box, when I stumbled across diedrichg post in the offtopic forum
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/when-did-freenas-become-a-media-server.26858/

I kinda felt like it was pointing at me!(n00b miss using the potential) So I thought maybe FreeNAS is not for me, I have low requirements I just want a central storage place for my stuff. But it must be safe (high priority, I know that's not a backup)
So I looked at (still looking) ZFSguru, NAS4Free both would probably suit my needs. Both have lower system minimum requirements.
But surely with ZFS being at the core of all three OS's there is no getting away from quality parts?
Is this correct? If so I may as well stick with FreeNAS, because it's the most mature and polished of the three and I've gotten used to it now (been playing with it for a month)

What I'm asking is have I missed something? Would I in fact be better off with one of the others? Plus save a little money?

Will look forward to your views...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're willing to do it right, FreeNAS is definitely right for most of your storage needs.

If you want ZFS, FreeNAS might be the best choice for the average user.

gpsguy

If you're ready to spend "1400 euros" and have been doing your reading and playing with it - then don't be put off by that thread.

If you want us to bless your planned purchases, start a new thread and list each item.

A lot of users, don't read the documentation and/or evaluate the OS, before jumping in with both feet. They only show up when there's a problem.

In the past week, we had one user who was running "ZFS with 1GB RAM". Their response was something along the way of "it's only for a system at home, so I don't need additional RAM". We're not surprised that they are having problems.

Or, take the guy with 4GB of RAM and 2 ZFS volumes. The mirror is okay, but the other pool is has 3 drives in a stripe. Two internal SATA connected drives, the 3rd is connected via USB. The USB disk is failing and he wanted to try to save the data by breaking the mirror and adding a 3rd volume.

SumoX

Cadet
Thanks for the answers guys, that was kinda my gut feeling...
I'm confident in the new parts (all off the recommended list;)) in for a penny, in for a pound!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.