timeout waiting for write DRQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

glich

Dabbler
Hello,
I am facing some problems with two promise sata 300 TX4 in freenas 8.

My HW is:
motherboard: intel d845EBG2
memory: 1,5 GB
boot: from CF + IDE2CF adaptor
CDRom: philips model CD
network: DLINK 1000GB interface
2 x PCI promise SATA 300 TX4
4 X 1,5TB Seagate HDD
4 x 2 TB seagate HDD
power: 500W

Setup: all HHD disks in a RAIDZ ZFS pool.

The error I do see is:
(pass4:ata6:0:0:0): SETFEATURES. ACB: ef 05 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 40 00
FREENAS8 kernel: (pass4:ata6:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
FREENAS8 kernel: Failed to configure APM: No such file or directory

And:
ata6: timeout waiting for write DRQ
ata7: timeout waiting for write DRQ
ata8: timeout waiting for write DRQ
ata9: timeout waiting for write DRQ

Another user is having the same problem with different HW except promise card.
I do enclose verbose initial freenas log, and console log.
View attachment dmesg_NAS.zip
Any help will be apreciated

BR
glich

D

dum75

I've got the same problem.
The 4 HDs connected to my PROMISE card aren't detected in freenas8 but they are with freenas 0.7.2.6694.
Seems to be a Promise drivers problem.

Dell Dimension 8400
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Memory 1.5GB
PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI CARD
FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Freenas 8.
10 HDDs:
IDE1 MOBO CONN 190782MB ST3200021A 3.01
IDE2 MOBO CONN 78167MB Maxtor 6Y080L0 YAR41BW0
PROMISE CONN 57231MB HTS541060G9SA00 MB3IC60R
PROMISE CONN 76319MB WDC WD800BEVS-08RST2 08.01G08
PROMISE CONN 57231MB ST960813AS 3.CLF
PROMISE CONN 95396MB HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 DC2ZC75A
SATA1 MOBO CONN 1907729MB ST2000DL003-9VT166 CC32
SATA2 MOBO CONN 1907729MB ST2000DL003-9VT166 CC32
SATA3 MOBO CONN 38146MB ST340014AS 8.05
SATA4 MOBO CONN 38146MB ST340014AS 8.05

joeschmuck

Old Man
dum75, you do not have the same problem based on you posting as your drives are not detected is what you said, the original poster drives are working.

As for the originators issue, I already entered some comments on the ticket you submitted a few days ago but in summary you probably have APM set under the View Disks tab and it's due to the 2TB drives you have. Hdparm does not communicate well with some of the larger drives but it does send the request to the drive, but fo some reason it times out or maybe the drive just doesn't acknowledge it. You can turn off APM and that message will go away or you can just use APM and ignore the messages. If I posted something not clear or I'm wrong in my assumptions, please let me know.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
@ glich

So you still have the problem and I'd like to help if I can. Since I don't have the interface card you have I will have to work through you. Please provide me the following information:

1) What version of FreeNAS are you running. I'll need this to view the correct files during that build time.
2) Please post all the error messages you get related to this topic. Below are examples:

Code:
(pass1:ata2:0:0:0): IDLE. ACB: e3 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 fb 00
(pass1:ata2:0:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
Failed to configure idle mode.

(pass1:ata2:0:0:0): SETFEATURES. ACB: ef 05 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 80 00
Failed to configure APM: No such file or directory

(pass1:ata2:0:0:0): SETFEATURES. ACB: ef 42 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 fe 00
Failed to configure AAM.: No such file or directory

ata6: timeout waiting for write DRQ
ata7: timeout waiting for write DRQ
ata8: timeout waiting for write DRQ
ata9: timeout waiting for write DRQ
3) Via the FreeNAS GUI, open the View Disks screen and ensure HDD Standby is Always On, Advance Power Management is Disabled, and Acoustic Level is Disabled for all drives, which I believe you already have done so.

Things I'd like you to try are:
1) Update to Beta-3 or later if you haven't already.
2) Enter the following commands where ada# is one of the 2TB drives as viewed on the View Disks GUI under Name.
a) Enter the Shell on the console
b) Type: ataidle -I 330 ada# (example: ataidle -I 330 ada6 and sets HDD Standby to 330 minutes, this is temporary and goes away on reboot or you could enter -I 0 (zero) to have always on).
c) At this point you should get the first error message example I listed above.

If you want to know if these commands are actually being accepted just enter 5 minutes (ataidle -I 5 ada#) for all the 2TB drives and see if they spin down after 5 minutes of inactivity. To test the other ones out try ataidle -P 127 ada# and if that drive spins up and down everytime you access it (should drive you crazy) then it works. Enter the command ataidle -P 128 ada# to place it into an APM mode that doesn't have that effect. And I don't know how to verify the Acoustic Level is working because my drives are super quiet always.

You can also conduct the commands via SSH if you have it enabled on FreeNAS and log in as su but the command structure is slightly different, you enter ataidle -I 0 /dev/ada# and that should work. I prefer SSH since I don't have to leave Windoze to do this work.

Let me know how you make out.

EDIT: Please enter this command "ataidle ada#" or "ataidle /dev/ada#" which will list the drive info and post that as well.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
Another question... In the BIOS, do you have APM (Advanced Power Management) and if so, is it disabled?
Have you moved your drives around (move two sata connectors between each card) to see if the problems follows the 2TB drives.

Last comment which has nothing to do with the error. Assuming you are running 2 RAIDZ's or mirrors (1.5TBx4 & 2TBx4), wouldn't it make sense to split the drives between the controllers to increase throughput? You could do this by shutting down, moving two cables, powering up and it should be all good. Just a thought but since I don't have any external cards I can't play with throughput.

-Mark

EDIT: I sent an email to the author of ataidle because I suspect it's not ATA-8 compliant. It is the most current version out the (version 2.5) but even though it seems to be working, there is something going on with these 2TB drives and I'm curious if it's only due to the advanced format and they used an otherwise obsolete data field (just guessing).

joeschmuck

Old Man
Update:
Apparently implementation of the ataidle is incorrect in FreeNAS because it works flawlessly in FreeBSD 8.2. I created a new drive to replace my USB drive and loaded FreeBSD 8.2, added the ataidle package, and tossed the commands at it. No error messages and all the commands were accepted without complaint. Now to locate the problem in the FreeNAS build. I hope it's not a limitation of nanobsd.

I would still like to know the answers to the questions I posted above.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've never heard of FreeNAS hanging by issuing that command. Could you list you system hardware and are you using any add-on boards to interface your hard drives through?

jstrebel

Dabbler
I have the same issue with running FN8 on a Intel D201GLY2 Board
(" timeout waiting for write DRQ ")
Because of the reason that I do not see this issue with FN7 I was suposing the disk drives are incorrectly programmed. Therefore tryed to make sure the drives standby modes are disabled and used ataidle.

executing ataidle -I 0 /dev/ada0

Result: The system hangs. The only message I see on the main (system) console.
ata2 timeout waiting for write DRQ.

What I do not understand is: Why does ataidle on /dev/adao create a console message for ata2?

joeschmuck

Old Man
ata2 as I understand it is the interface it's on, not the drive name, yes it adds to some confusion but I didn't write the code. Could you explain to me what you mean by your system hangs? I don't want to make any assumptions even though I'm pretty confident I know what you mean but I don't understand why your system would stop operating. Can you operate the GUI?

jstrebel

Dabbler
Joe, the system does not react anymore to the GUI not ssh not system console. "top" is also frozen.

It only responds to ping.
The only way to get out is a reeboot
Jakob

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is so odd. There may be a different way to place your drives in an idle state but I can't think of it right now, it should come to me (I hope). I just recall you could command it but it's not on a timer, it's immediate and that really would be no good. What version of FreeNAS are you running and if it's newer than Beta-4, try Beta-4, and then try Beta-2. This is only to troubleshoot a compatibility issue. One other thing you could try is boot FreeBSD 8.2 and try the command. I suspect it will work fine because I believe the migration from FreeBSD to NanoBSD has suffered some.

Durkatlon

Patron
By the way, this is the exact same problem I have with my Via EPIA motherboard, which I've been discussing in the thread "AHCI Timeouts" in this same subforum. If FreeNAS does not use the AHCI driver (I can force this by setting my SATA Controller to IDE mode), I get "timeout waiting for write DRQ". I have not been able to resolve this, but I too am not seeing this in FreeNAS 0.7 on the same hardware. I think this is a FreeBSD8.2 and/or FreeNAS8 bug.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Try out tonight nightly build (anything after 8r7648). Looks like there was a few changes made about an hour ago. That was based on your ticket so see it does pay to report the problem, now hopefully it works. I'm building right now to check it out, I can't wait until tomorrow, plus I have the free time.

Durkatlon

Patron
That would be pretty huge if that fixes it. I will try the nightly build for i386 tomorrow.

jstrebel

Dabbler
Hi,
I just tried with the nightly release r7661. The issues I reported with ticket 746 seem to be fixed.
jakob

Status
Not open for further replies.