timeout stopping cpus

Status
Not open for further replies.

plpl

Cadet
Hi all

I am trying to install freenas 8.3.1 p2 on dell H720 with Perc H710 raid controller. The installation is ok but when I try to reboot, I have got the message:

-------
/dev/ufs/FreeNaSs3: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN: SKIPPING CHECKS

/dev/ufs/FreeNaSs3: clean, 2829 free .......
Mounting local file systems:
Setting hostname: freenas.local.
fIENMMMMMIII III S SIAIA S S33A00, , EE33IIS00SA,A , f Ef
f.fMS AfI f.
going to debugger
NMI ... going to debugger
timeout stopping cpus
[thread pid 11 tid 10006 ]
Stopped at acpi_cpu_c10x6: leave
db> timeout stopping cpus
[thread pid 712 tid 10064 ]
Stopped at bge_miibus_readreg+0xd2:
[thread pid 11 tid 10005 ]
[thread pid 11 tid 10005 ]
db>
-----

I have good any idea to solve the problem.

Thank in advance.

Patrice

wf_nas

Cadet
Hi Patrice - i've also experienced this error whilst attempting to boot a 64bit version of FreeNAS (8.3.1) from USB onto a new "HP Proliant DL360p G8" platform.

So far this is the only post that i've been able to find where the exact conditions have been reported. The system boots from the USB drive without any problems and mounts the filesystem, shortly afterwards it then hangs with a stream of "timeout stopping cpu" errors as listed above. They all seem to be related to "acpi_cpu_c10x6," but without access to log files its very difficult to make any progress with troubleshooting what might be causing it to hang.

Unfortunately i've not been able to find a workaround that would allow FreeNAS to boot without interruption.

The build is running from a USB drive and no problems were reported during the installation process. I've tried booting with ACPI disabled, but unfortunately it continues to hang. In an attempt to resolve the problem, i've flashed the BIOS to the latest version but without any success.

Interestingly, when the same USB drive is attached to an earlier HP Proliant model (ie. G7), FreeNAS boots fine without any problems..

At this stage it seems likely this could be related to hardware (perhaps the motherboard chipset is not supported at this time?), although without any further information its difficult to speculate further.

If anyone has any ideas how to resolve this problem, it would be much appreciated.

SUMMARY

Hardware: HP Proliant DL360p G8
Boot media: USB drive
FreeNAS version: 8.3.1 - 64bit

Error:
Timeout stopping CPUS
Stopped at acpi_cpu_c1+0x6

Thanks - K.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You might want to try the 9.1 alpha and see if that works. 9.1 has an updated kernel that might work. Keep in mind that I don't recommend anyone use anything except official releases because there may be bugs that can cost you your data. But at least you'd know that when 9.1 is official that your hardware will work with it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It looks like the system is throwing NMI's. Have you checked the HP/Dell BIOS to see if it is logging something like memory errors or other hardware check problems?

ideanatewi

Cadet
You might want to try the 9.1 alpha and see if that works. 9.1 has an updated kernel that might work. Keep in mind that I don't recommend anyone use anything except official releases because there may be bugs that can cost you your data. But at least you'd know that when 9.1 is official that your hardware will work with it.

9.1 Alpha works great!
Of course, NAS4Free also booted just fine.

Wonder if I should just go with NAS4Free or wait for FreeNAS 9.1 Beta....

Does anyone know if there will be an upgrade path from Alpha to Beta to Release? Or will I need to reload and lose everything?

(Background: This server will be used as a Disk-2-Disk Backup target, not for direct usage by users.)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can generally upgrade from each version to the next. But, it's not 100% guarantee as the database structure can change and whatnot. If the developers remove or change a feature from the alpha to beta things could get ugly. The only "official" upgrades are RELEASE to RELEASE.

My recommendation(and the rule I follow) is that I only update RELEASE to RELEASE in a production environment and any alphas, betas, or nightlies that I use are never used in a production environment(or anywhere that I value my data).

paleoN

Wizard

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Status
Not open for further replies.