Three WD Red 6TB NAS drives for $799.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
At that price point, they are JUST ever so slightly less expensive than 3TB drives. From a GB/$ standpoint that is. 3TB are the regular winner out of all the green sizes.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The problem with the math is because you really need to factor in the capex cost of the NAS and the opex of a larger number of hard drives; the cost-per-TB of the larger drives isn't as much as you might think. What you're really looking for with a NAS device is to be able to store XXTB of data, and worrying about the pricing of individual components isn't always necessary or meaningful.

If my 6TB-drive-based NAS platform costs $750 for the NAS and $250 each for four 6TB drives in RAIDz2, then my total cost is $1750 for 12TB, or $145/TB.

If I build a 3TB-drive based NAS platform out of $100 3TB drives, there are two ways that can go:

I can build it with 4 drives (keeping the number of drives the same). That costs $750 for the NAS plus $400 for all four drives, or $1150 for 6TB, or $191/TB.

I can build it with 6 drives (matching capacity by increasing drives). That costs $750 for the NAS plus $600 for all six drives, or $1350, or $112/TB. That's actually a good deal, but it increases the number of drives and therefore the power and also trades off future expandability (less space in the case, etc).

9C1 Newbee

Patron
You are absolutely right. There are MANY factors involved. If you have a FreeNAS mini, you may want to spend a bit more to get bigger drives. As opposed to this monster case I have. $/TB is weighted quite heavy. With the way these drives die, I am more concerned with the here and now. Having said that, at the price points now, I can't see myself building any more pools with 3TB drives.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The $/TB jump for drive cost alone is just about linear from 3 to 4 so 3 ends up being a bad selection now.

Status
Not open for further replies.