Thoughts on Rsync & TrueNas Scal Corbia 23.10.1

emu

Cadet
The TrueNas GUI R-Sync approach is Client & Server only. And seems to mandate a Dameon App Server Usage. In Corbia the Rsync server Service has been removed. Thus the need to add the R-Sync App now. Now there SSH mode but it wants ssh certs and is also geared to client & Server network approach.
Ok Client and Server is nice and is needed out there.

But, I'm just a home user. I got a big NAS in the basement running that can run 80 drive bays. And there is two pools right now. Pool_1 and Pool_2. Pool_1 is set up on Samba. Where as Pool_2 is just my non Samba R-Sync'd once a week sync'd copy of Pool_1.

My desire is the fastest R-Sync speed here. I don't want the transfer between two machine across a network. I want R-Sync drive to drive & Pool to Pool
(SAS3 4Kn native 12Gb/s backbone)

If R-Sync is run from SSH CLI session, at the prompt you have the option just internal transfer at max (SAS3) speeds from Pool_1 to Pool_2 (The Fastest Method).

ex:
rsync -v --progress --stats --delete -z -a -t -p -l /mnt/pool1/ /mnt/pool2

Now this works and it "does not" use the network. And does need SSH at all. It's internal. Fully inside my NAS's security wall.

Now I was using this on Scale but then Bluefin came along and started using the client & server/service method with module. But even then, I really wanted the above method but in GUI form. I really don't need to run the R-Sync Dameon App here. It just my one NAS Server. I don't have two servers.

In the present GUI. Could XI Systems in Truenas-Scale Corbia, Data Protection tab, "ADD" two R-sync Panels.
One for Internal (Non Network) GUI for a working the CLI command like present above.
And the second Panel (Network) for, want you currently have, for Client/R-Sync Dameon App Server.

All the home users get R-sync Internal GUI that best for home use. But, we can also all the remote / SSH stuff to across the network if needed.
Without a additional R-Sync GUI then we need to start CRON JOB. Which is not preferred I like to see it in the panel. WE would all rather have it in GUI with scheduling.

oh: And as for backup, I want to do a LTO-10 Tape Library in the future for my real backup.

PhilD13

Patron
Under the Data Protection tab you can setup Rsync tasks, no additional app needed and no additional service (the one that was removed) needed. You still need ssh setup I think (did not see an option to not) to make an rsync task.

Under the Data protection tab you can setup and use a Replication Task that is Local (local is an option under transport method in advanced replication task setup) task to replicate Pool1 to Pool2. It's what is desired when wanting something local on the same box and/or from one Truenas system to another Truenas system. This I think would be your best bet as it ticks the boxes and after the initial data transfer be more efficient and likely faster than rsync.

While not in the GUI , you could also setup a scheduled cron job to run the rsync command on a schedule or you could also write a short script to run the rsync task and report the results or status to an email address using something like this:

Test if mail can be sent from command line: echo "Your message" | mail -s "Message Subject" email@address

Making a script and including something like this where lfd would be a script named lfd.sh that could be run from a cron task
#!/bin/bash
service lfd status | mail -s "LFD Status" youremail@address.com

LTO is just another storage target in most cases so most methods should work with it and many systems will have an 8087 SAS connector and connect directly to an external facing LSI card. There is an article under the forum resources on using LTO Tape drives.
I also think some of the current apps available under the apps tab may allow a tape drive as a target.