SOLVED think I bought wrong HBA (9200-8e)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Remes

Contributor
All, working on my first FreeNAS build. I bought the LSI 9200-8e even though all of my drives will be in the same Fractal Design R5 case. While researching the correct cables to buy this mistake started to crystallize. I probably should have gotten a card with SFF-8087 ports (internal) rather than the SFF-8088 ports that are on this card.

I learned a lot from this thread: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...imer-on-basic-sas-and-sata.26145/#post-184126

My question to the forum is "what do I do now?" Should I return this card for an IBM M1015 variant or can I salvage this situation and still use the 9200-8e for my internal drives?

If I can/should save this card, what cables do I need to attach to my 7 sata drives? My research indicates I would need 2 8088 to 8087 forward breakout cables. How should I plan to route this cable back inside the box?

Here I thought I did all the right research and now I feel like a doofus after making this mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well you are correct, you made a doofus mistake but hey, we all do from time to time.

You have an option of buying a SFF-8088 to SATA cable (linked example) which will make 8 SATA ports on the end of a cable and then you could feed the cables back into the case through a slot or something. It's not ideal that is for certain.

The other option is to buy another board, this time ending with a letter "i" for internal and giving that a shot.

Chuck Remes

Contributor
I bought a 9211-8i and will have it Wednesday. I don't want my new box to have any strange jury rigging like feeding external cables back inside.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I bought a 9211-8i and will have it Wednesday. I don't want my new box to have any strange jury rigging like feeding external cables back inside.
Glad you did that, it was the better way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.