Adding Disk Shelf and LSI 9200-8E to existing system causes boot hang

mitchrichie

Cadet
I've successfully setup a server running FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1
Supermicro H11SSL-C

AMD EPYC 7251 8-Core Processor

I have 8 internal drives across 2 pools. Everything is working great but I'd like to add a disk shelf.
I purchased a NetApp DS4246 Disk Array Shelf with a LSI 9200-8e 6Gbps 8-lane external SAS HBA (recommended by the guy I bought the shelf from)

I added the HBA to the server but now the system hangs during boot with just a blinking cursor during startup.

I've read some that these cards may need to flashed or put into a certain mode. Could this be causing the hang?

When I removed the HBA the system boots up normally.

JaimieV

Guru
I've had that with a 9207 wedging an HP Microserver. Flashing it to a later firmware version (see sig) in another motherboard sorted it out.

JaimieV

Guru
Should be able to - I booted in an alternate machine (usually Windows) off the same FreeNAS stick and did the update from there, but if you know how to do it from Windows that'll be fine too.

No idea what caused the boot issue, some mobo/firmware clash no doubt. I've seen other rare complaints here of the same pre-boot wedging problem as you and I have seen.

mitchrichie

Cadet
Should be able to - I booted in an alternate machine (usually Windows) off the same FreeNAS stick and did the update from there, but if you know how to do it from Windows that'll be fine too.

No idea what caused the boot issue, some mobo/firmware clash no doubt. I've seen other rare complaints here of the same pre-boot wedging problem as you and I have seen.

Thank you for the info.