The best protocol for a multi-backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamza

Cadet
Hi,
I want to use FreeNAS for a backup project. I have to setup an authenticated backup storage for 300 user. I'll import users via LDAP and for each I'll create two datasets, one for OS X's Time Machine and the second for those using Windows or Linux, so the first dataset should be an AFP but I'm not sure to use an CIFS or an NFS share for the second ?
I would ideally use the native backup system for Windows users, and Duplicity with Déjà-Dup for Linux users ...
Any ideas or comments on my setup or the protocol I should use ?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Noctris

Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean by "filesystem".. when running FreeNAS, ZFS is the only choice.

What you seem to be talking about is protocol. Where you want to use AFP for mac and another for Linux and windows. Since mounting NFS on Windows will be a PITA at best, i would personally go for Cifs. Mounting Samba shares (or writing on them ) is well supported on linux.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes I mean the protocol to use. Thank you for your answer.

Better to say what you mean. Makes getting an answer easier. ;)

Windows has NFS support only in the most expensive versions, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Enterprise, etc. So if you plan to go Windows and don't have that, then NFS isn't even an option. If you do have those, then you can use it, but be warned that it's pathetically slow (I got about 10 MB/sec even on 10Gb LAN).

The choice of protocol is personal for your situation, etc. We can't really help you, but I generally recommend CIFS as much as possible because it's the one protocol that is widely supported on all common desktop OSes; linux, windows, BSD, etc.

Hamza

Cadet
Better to say what you mean. Makes getting an answer easier. ;)

Windows has NFS support only in the most expensive versions, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Enterprise, etc. So if you plan to go Windows and don't have that, then NFS isn't even an option. If you do have those, then you can use it, but be warned that it's pathetically slow (I got about 10 MB/sec even on 10Gb LAN).

The choice of protocol is personal for your situation, etc. We can't really help you, but I generally recommend CIFS as much as possible because it's the one protocol that is widely supported on all common desktop OSes; linux, windows, BSD, etc.
I've rectified the thread. Thanks again!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
CIFS - that crappy protocol we can thank Microsoft for, that due to market dominance, everyone supports.

CIFS is pronounced as “sifs”, which sounds like its a communicable disease. :smile:

Noctris

Contributor
which is why they try to fool everone with "Samba".. which gives a nice exotical ring to this disease ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.