Which file sharing protocol (SMB/AFS/NFS/SMB2/SMB3) is best for an mixed client environment within a

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnyprinter

Dabbler
I'm just setting up freenas with ZFS and was wondering which file sharing protocol / data transfer protocol is the best to use? Has anyone experiences?
I guess i have a very typical business setup. I do have an Microsoft Active Directory Domain (AD/LDAP) running on an Microsoft Server 2003. I'm going to access data from Mac, Windows (xp,7,8), windows server (2003,10,12) and linux.
I'm thinking of SMB/AFS/NFS/SMB2/SMB3. FTP is not a solution, since employees are working on the server and not duplicating data on their local machines.
SMB: I guess every client should be able to work with it. However I'm not sure if it is performance wise the best solution? SMB also works nice with the windows users and rights. However I heard rumors smb is performance wise not the best since it is single threaded and cpu hungry?
NFS: I heard rumors that NFS has a good performance however I think windows doesn't talk NFS? How is NFS working with active directory and rights? How is its performance?
AFP allows native mac functionality like searching on the server and good performance however windows doesn't like it nor do I know how it works with an windows active directory domain and rights?
Does it cause any problems if share the same folder on smb and afp? (thinking of file looks and so on)? Has anyone experiences with sharing the same folder on SMB and AFP or SMB and NFS?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The best protocol is your choice based on what works best with all of your clients. Most people go with SMB/CIFS. But there is no best as each has its tradeoffs in performance, reliability, and data integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.