SOLVED Linux, Windows and Mac Sharing

KATAMAPAH

Cadet
Hi everyone!

I've been using Freenas for about three months now. Unfortunately, last week my hdd (connected through a USB port) where the system was installed died. I took a DB config backup one week earlier the failure happened.

It was a simple home config: two shared folders (/mnt/storage and /mnt/backup) and a plex server for my Samsung smart tv. The shares were accessible through all three OS (Linux, Windows and MacOS) with read/write permissions on all of the machines.

I have the original ISO image for Freenas dated 5th of December. I installed it without and problems. Uploaded the DB config, the machine got rebooted twice and I found my Freenas up and running. However, the shared folders permissions were messed up: I had read-only access for the two folders from my Linux machine (Linux Mint, my daily driver) and from the other two machines (my wife's Windows 10 and MacOS Mojave). No write permissions on any of the machines. Apparently, no sharing config was backed up or copied properly. While trying to recall the proper config, I realized that I didn't bookmarked the websites where I took the working configs from (dumbass). I thought that if I upgrade to the latest build of Freenas, it might resolve the issue, but it didn't.

So, I need to configure the sharing again. What I remember from the previous config is that I didn't create any specific users/group on Freenas. If I'm not mistaken, I used either root/wheel or nobody/nobody. I did some config on the Windows 10 Pro machine (NFS feature installation and some user config). I don't remember configuring SMB or AFS, so I assume all config was done on NFS. Automount (/etc/fstab) is still on my Mint machine.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Your help here is much appreciated.

Update: as of now, when I try to change permission for the both pools (backup and data), it says read-only filesystem, operation not permitted. My guess that this is the main issue.

Update 2: found the website I used to configure the Windows 10 Pro machine - https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

Last edited:

KATAMAPAH

Cadet
ok, so here is the update:

chmod doesn't work (thought it was only a GUI problem). gives the same error read-only filesystem, operation not permitted.

For some reason, I decided to reboot the server and my laptop (Mint). Some of the folders became read/write, but some not (still don't see any logic behind it). I checked the permissions of the current folders and it was only nobody user (owner). I changed to nobody Mapall User at sharing/nfs/edit (advanced mode) for both of the shares (didn't make any change after restarting the NFS service). Rebooted the server and my laptop and voila I have rw permissions. Checked iMac and the Windows laptop - works as expected with rw permissions.

The case is resolved.

These are the settings:
Storage/Pools/Edit Dataset - Share type - Unix
Storage/Pools/Edit Permissions - ACL Type - Unix, User and Group - Nobody, and all the check boxes are checked -> Apply perm recursively
Sharing/NFS/Edit - All dirs checked, Mapall User - Nobody (Advanced mode)
Services/NFS - Server UDP NFS Clients, Allow non-root mount, Enable NFSv4 - checked, Bind IP Address - your NIC address or whatever is configured for you.
Don't forget to specify the path where necessary. I have two pools hence two volumes /mnt/backup and /mnt/storage

Hope this will help those who need it to work on Linux/Mac and Windows 10 (need to use the instruction from the first post) as a home solution.