The Best (as far as I could get) Android App to access your FreeNAS

DLNA not showing on two devices at the same time. That is likely due to it really being a 1:1 connection. DLNA was not designed to stream to multiple players at the same time. That is one of the reasons why I ended up with plex, one server can stream to many devices. With the Plex Pass I don't even have DLNA turned on, the apps all handle it perfectly.

@ccssid You are welcome. I have been away from the forums for a while but try and drop in to help when I can. Once I start back to work again I won't be around much until the season is over in November.

Bhoot

Patron
Go on their forums and post it. My tv had a 3rd party one at first but not long after an official one was put out. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204080173-Which-Smart-TV-television-models-are-supported

Another nice thing is you can use a roku stick on a dumbtv with HDMI or a chromecast and a phone as a remote.

Found Plex app through Opera Store. I guess it's just about getting the job done. Won't call it bad, would call it slow. Maybe the Rasplex has spoilt me. But yes it does work :)

saikee

Explorer
Got FreeNAS running about a month now.

Yes ES file explorer works like a treat! Thanks to the OP.

Plex is great too. Got friends from Norway, Austrailia, Canada and UK to enjoy the contents of my FreeNAS. AFAIK the Plex plugin allows any smart phone, PC, Tablet and Apple device to enjoy the movies, photos and music stored in your FreeNAS from anywhere in the world via Internet. I went for a one-time life payment with Plex and all my friends are now benefited from it. With one host pays up, about US$ 110 for life time a Pass, all guests need no activation with smart phones. For PC and Andoid TV box your guests do not need any subscription or activation to enjoy your FreeNAS.

Plex plugin can't work with a smart TV outside the house as it could need a static IP which most broadband providers do not provide for the domestic customers. However the easiest way to get someone's FreeNAS contents into you TV lounge is to buy a Android TV box which is effectively a watered down Android device that has a Playstore to install Plex into its ownself using Internet and pipes its output directly into your TV by a HDMI cable. The Android TV box is dirt cheap.

FreeNAS opens up huge opportunity for fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bhoot

Patron
I will give you an awesome tip for plex. I discovered it recently and till now I was shuffling through the ip addresses of various servers of my family to access everything (I guess you're doing the same). First and foremost add different users as friends (people with clients or servers). With each friend you can choose different folders you want to share (bonus imo). Now once you're added to each other's list login to http://plex.tv/ with your username and pw. On the top right corner there will be a tab marked "LAUNCH". You will be redirected to your plex homepage and can access your own server. On the top left there will be a dropdown menu of the list of accessible servers. You can choose to access all servers you can from one platform. Happy plexing

If the posts help you don't forget to click the Thanks. ;)

Bhoot

Patron
Realized I could start a new thread with this info on plex. Please visit and comment here.

jmccoy555

Cadet

zoomzoom

Guru
I got fed up with the es addiction to adding junk etc and found https://sites.google.com/site/mixplorer/

Its downloaded from the XDA forum https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23109280&postcount=2
Just an FYI:
  • It would appear non-rooted users would not be able to utilize the app since it appears from the XDA thread it requires BusyBox, of which is only installable if one is rooted.
    • BusyBox has always been available through the PlayStore for as far back as I can remember, which begs the question of why that dev is privately hosting BusyBox, of which is more than a year old (1.24.2, current is 1.26.2), both MASSIVE RED FLAGS.

• Even though Parsa Hootan is a recognized developer, great CAUTION should be taken when installing apks from outside the PlayStore, as 99% of Android malware infects devices because of users installing apks garnished from somewhere other than the PlayStore, including the Xposed Framework and modules offered on XDA.
    • Additionally, that thread is over 5 years old without a single comment, of which throws up more MASSIVE RED FLAGS

• Giving root access to this app, let alone installing it, is unwise at best, asking to be exploited at worst.

Last edited:

jmccoy555

Cadet
Just an FYI:
  • It would appear non-rooted users would not be able to utilize the app since it appears from the XDA thread it requires BusyBox, of which is only installable if one is rooted.
    • BusyBox has always been available through the PlayStore for as far back as I can remember, which begs the question of why that dev is privately hosting BusyBox, of which is more than a year old (1.24.2, current is 1.26.2), both MASSIVE RED FLAGS.

• Even though Parsa Hootan is a recognized developer, great CAUTION should be taken when installing apks from outside the PlayStore, as 99% of Android malware infects devices because of users installing apks garnished from somewhere other than the PlayStore.
    • Additionally, that thread is over 5 years old without a single comment, of which throws up more MASSIVE RED FLAGS

• Giving root access to this app, let alone installing it, is unwise at best, asking to be exploited at worst.
Sorry, wrong link - https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1523691

It's very active and I use on a non-rooted device.

But as you say, use at you're own risk!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

zoomzoom

Guru
@jmccoy555 Ah, that's better. Did you have to install BusyBox (that was the basis of the root requirement assumption since BusyBox requires root in order to be installed)?

jmccoy555

Cadet
@jmccoy555 Ah, that's better. Did you have to install BusyBox (that was the basis of the root requirement assumption since BusyBox requires root in order to be installed)?
No. You'd have to check but I think that's one of the features or something.

Anyway, I'd trust it more than giving es Explorer the ever increasing list of unnecessary permissions.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

zoomzoom

Guru
No. You'd have to check but I think that's one of the features or something.

Anyway, I'd trust it more than giving es Explorer the ever increasing list of unnecessary permissions.
ES File Manager only requests 5 permissions:
  • 3 for Data (WiFi, BlueTooth, and Cellular to access network shares)
  • 1 for Storage (it's a file manager after all)
  • 1 for Device & App history (System Manager & Cleaner)
    • The only permission not required for file management, of which can be revoked via Settings -> Apps
    • One of the reasons for this permission is to allow cleanup of data files on internal/external storage when the parent app is uninstalled. ESFM will show a popup upon an arbitrary app uninstall asking if one would like to delete the associated data folder(s) on the SDcard associated with that app.
Any File Manager with Network share access will always request the first 4 permissions, as without the first three, it's not possible to connect to and browse network shares.

Attachments

• App Info 1.png
    App Info 1.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 443
  • App Info 2.png
    App Info 2.png
    341 KB · Views: 435
  • Receivers.png
    Receivers.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Permissions.png
    Permissions.png
    459 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:

laramid

Cadet
for me, i have been having some problems with this question. I only have my work laptop and for some reason, the share is blocked. I have tried several things to fix but I have given up. i use my kids laptop from time to time to make changes to the folders but have been looking for a way to manage from my android tablet.

I tried ES File Explorer, but I could not accesses the share from that app, so after downloading about every file manager in the play story I found that FileExplorer Free worked. I am able to interact and update in all the folders, upload data to the plex folders, and any other data management needs. the windows laptop is still the best tool. it is not to have the tool to interact from my tablet also, as this is were i download most of my media. i can push it directly to my Plex dataset.

So a lot of people have been using ftp, plex and sonar to get media on their phone I wanted something which was more basic. I still run plex, don't get me wrong; but things like a document file/pdf/comic (cbr) is something I might fancy on one of those days.
The app is called ES File Explorer. No root required (not for this atleast). It has a separate section for "Network". Once I scanned my Freenas popped up. I logged in with user name/pw and it's remembered the server. Now any video/music/pic/document is visisble/available on my 20 (exaggerating) android devices. :D
I know there could be better apps out there and I am sorry I don't use anything from the Apple eco system. Would request users to share their experiences with this app or an app of their choice on both rooted and non rooted platforms. Over the few recent updates the ES File Explorer is kinda become a little irritating with strong notifications (about decreasing space and new files created) which might be ok with you, but I have disabled its notifications for everything. :D :D
I have yet to try out accessing the server remotely through this app and quite honestly I don't think I will. I'll just stick to FTP for those few days coz it's tried and tested.

//EDIT: I am in no way tied to the development/creation/distribution of the above mentioned software. I just found it in the playstore and thought it would be useful for everyone. I should not be held responsible for any damage/loss to either data, device or both from downloading/installing/using the software.

:D Love to give the disclaimer.
So a lot of people have been using ftp, plex and sonar to get media on their phone I wanted something which was more basic. I still run plex, don't get me wrong; but things like a document file/pdf/comic (cbr) is something I might fancy on one of those days.
The app is called ES File Explorer. No root required (not for this atleast). It has a separate section for "Network". Once I scanned my Freenas popped up. I logged in with user name/pw and it's remembered the server. Now any video/music/pic/document is visisble/available on my 20 (exaggerating) android devices. :D
I know there could be better apps out there and I am sorry I don't use anything from the Apple eco system. Would request users to share their experiences with this app or an app of their choice on both rooted and non rooted platforms. Over the few recent updates the ES File Explorer is kinda become a little irritating with strong notifications (about decreasing space and new files created) which might be ok with you, but I have disabled its notifications for everything. :D :D
I have yet to try out accessing the server remotely through this app and quite honestly I don't think I will. I'll just stick to FTP for those few days coz it's tried and tested.

//EDIT: I am in no way tied to the development/creation/distribution of the above mentioned software. I just found it in the playstore and thought it would be useful for everyone. I should not be held responsible for any damage/loss to either data, device or both from downloading/installing/using the software.

I know there could be better apps out there and I am sorry I don't use anything from the Apple eco system. Would request users to share their experiences with this app or an app of their choice on both rooted and non rooted platforms. Over the few recent updates the ES File Explorer is kinda become a little irritating with strong notifications (about decreasing space and new files created) which might be ok with you, but I have disabled its notifications for everything. :D:D

I know there could be better apps out there and I am sorry I don't use anything from the Apple eco system. Would request users to share their experiences with this app or an app of their choice on both rooted and non rooted platforms. Over the few recent updates the ES File Explorer is kinda become a little irritating with strong notifications (about decreasing space and new files created) which might be ok with you, but I have disabled its notifications for everything. :D:D

it really worked for me too. but ES file explorer is not available in play store download the APK fro the net

tfran1990

Patron
ES file explorer worked for me for a while, then all of the sudden it does not like it if i leave the port option blank. I switched to using CX file explorer, the free version is add free(for now).