TFTP not accessable

vrelk

Cadet
I have TFTP setup on freenas, but I am unable to access it from another computer. I am able to access everything else from other computers on the network (LAN), but not TFTP. I did try it locally from the freenas shell, and it works fine there, so I know it is running. I did try a pxeboot once, and after about 5 minutes it was able to get the first file (auto retry after timeout), otherwise I get a timeout error. The firewall is off on both computers (note: it was doing this for pxeboot, so no firewall there).

Code:
[root@server ~]# tftp                                            
tftp> connect 127.0.0.1                                                                                                                        
tftp> get wimboot                                                              
Received 34576 bytes during 0.0 seconds in 68 blocks                            
tftp> quit
------------------------------
C:\Users\Joseph>tftp 192.168.25.4 GET wimboot
Timeout occurred
 Connect request failed
--------------------------------

/etc/hosts.allow
# Start by allowing everything (this prevents the rest of the file              
# from working, so remove it when you need protection).                        
# The rules here work on a "First match wins" basis.                            
ALL : ALL : allow

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You are the first person, to my knowledge, that I have heard of using TFTP. I certainly have never used it. Maybe someone with expertise will chime in.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I use tftp. I have 2 routers saving configs to it every night at midnight, my web filter backs up logs to it, and I use it to deploy new firmware for my switches.

I've never had an issue with the service.

D

dlavigne

Timeout error sounds like a network, firewall, or DNS issue...

gremblin

Dabbler
I have TFTP setup on freenas, but I am unable to access it from another computer. I am able to access everything else from other computers on the network (LAN), but not TFTP. I did try it locally from the freenas shell, and it works fine there, so I know it is running. I did try a pxeboot once, and after about 5 minutes it was able to get the first file (auto retry after timeout), otherwise I get a timeout error. The firewall is off on both computers (note: it was doing this for pxeboot, so no firewall there).

Code:
[root@server ~]# tftp                                           
tftp> connect 127.0.0.1                                                                                                                       
tftp> get wimboot                                                             
Received 34576 bytes during 0.0 seconds in 68 blocks                           
tftp> quit
------------------------------
C:\Users\Joseph>tftp 192.168.25.4 GET wimboot
Timeout occurred
Connect request failed
--------------------------------

/etc/hosts.allow
# Start by allowing everything (this prevents the rest of the file             
# from working, so remove it when you need protection).                       
# The rules here work on a "First match wins" basis.                           
ALL : ALL : allow

Did you ever get this figured out? I am trying TFTP for the first time to update the firmware on a used switch I just bought. I am having the same issue. I can connect no problem from the FreeNAS CLI, but not from my MacBook or the switch.

Hello.

I upgrade freeNAS 11.3-Release, and try to use tftp for my PI4 PXE boot. And I have the same issue. I can do it with localhost, but not remotly. Anyone solve this issue?

Ed