Test email: [ERRNO 4] non-recoverable failure in name resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xelas

Explorer
I am trying to get email notifications to work. I have:
  • changed the root user email to my address
  • filled in all of the e-mail settings in System --> General --> Email
    I'm trying to set it up with my gmail account, so I configured it to connect to smtp.gmail.com via port 465 using SSL (and also tried port 25), per the general guidelines, and configured the SMTP authentication with my login and password.
  • gmail is set up with POP and IMAP, and it works just dandy with a POP client in a PC in the same network, so that isn't the issue.
When I try to "Send Test Mail", I immediately get a notice (on a dark green background) that pops up in the top of the screen stating:
"Your test email could not be sent: [Errno 4] Non-recoverable failure in name resolution"
Nothing appears in the console window.

I configured the network settings with my gateway IP and DNS (tried both 8.8.8.8 and my gateway, which should be forwarding requests through OpenDNS). Pinging from the console smtp.gmail.com works great.

Any ideas?

Xelas

Explorer
Alright - I just figured my problem out. In a way, I think it's a bug.
I accidentally put a SPACE after the server name "smtp.gmail.com ". As soon as I got rid of that space, I was able to get that test e-mail. <facepalm>
I think it's a a bug because because there really must be some input sanitation - at least whitespace trimming, if not testing for invalid input. I made a stupid mistake, but it's probably easy to make.

Xelas

Explorer
Status
Not open for further replies.