Terramaster F4-223 raid set up help

Pdaddy

Cadet
I have a F4-423 running TrueNAS Core with 2x8tb hard drives and 1x16tb hard drive. They are all Western Digital.

I would like to combine the 2x8tb drives in stripe so they work as the main 16tb volume for speed.

Then combine the above (2x8) 16tb with the single disk 16tb volume and use the single disk 16tb as mirror only.

Thanks for any help with this.

Arwen

MVP
That disk configuration is not supported by TrueNAS.

While you can do it manually, if you don't know how, the chances of data loss during a failure are higher.

TrueNAS and or ZFS does not support every use case, or RAID configuration.

Pdaddy

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will go ahead and put in another 16tb and use those together.

Arwen

MVP
Now with 2 x 8TB & 2 x 16TB, you can use them all together in a striped Mirror pool:

Mirror-0 - 2 x 8TB
Mirror-1 - 2 x 16TB

Having mis-matched vDev sizes IS supported by ZFS, and certainly appropriate for home use. ZFS will favor writing to the vDev with more free space until the vDevs have more balanced amount of free space. So, the 2 x 16TB Mirror vDev will be used mostly first. Some people don't want that, and want the data striped across the vDevs evenly. But, that requires same sized vDevs.

You can also created 2 separate Mirror pools if that is a better fit.

On the other hand, trying to use those 4 disks in a RAID-Z1/2 configuration will temporarily waste the extra 8TB of the 16TB disks. You do have the advantage of later replacing the 2 x 8TB disks with larger ones to grow the size of a RAID-Z1/2 vDev.